Who is Don MarquisPortrait of author Don Marquis, taken sometime between 1910 and 1915 Donald Robert Perry Marquis (/ˈmɑːrkwɪs/ MAR-kwis; July 29, 1878, Walnut, Illinois – December 29, 1937, New York City) was a humorist, journalist, and author. He was variously a novelist, poet, newspaper columnist, and playwright. He is remembered best for creating the characters Archy and Mehitabel, supposed authors of humorous verse. During his lifetime he was equally famous for creating another fictitious character, "the Old Soa...
Read Full Biography
Don Marquis Poems
- Words Are Not Guns
Put by the sword (a dreamer saith),
The years of peace draw nigh!
Already the millennial dawn
Makes red the eastern sky!...
- With The Submarines
Above, the baffled twilight fails; beneath, the
blind snakes creep;
Beside us glides the charnel shark, our pilot
through the deep;...
They haunt me, they tease me with hinted
The songs that I may not utter;
They lead me, they flatter, they woo me....
A fierce unrest seethes at the core
Of all existing things:
It was the eager wish to soar
That gave the gods their wings....
- To A Dancing Doll
Formal, quaint, precise, and trim,
You begin your steps demurely-
There's a spirit almost prim
In the feet that move so surely,...
Top 10 most used topics by Don MarquisLove 32 I Love You 32 Soul 29 Heart 28 Death 28 God 28 Life 27 World 23 Dream 21 Light 21
Don Marquis Quotes
- If a child shows himself to be incorrigible, he should be decently and quietly beheaded at the age of twelve, lest he grow to maturity marry, and perpetuate his kind.
- A pessimist is a person who has to listen to too many optimists.
- An optimist is a man who has never had much experience.
- Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes.
- The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race is the human race.
Comments about Don Marquis
- Leograndprince: men, it’s okay to quit on a female who’s not even trying. you deserve effort too! i don’t care if she got a kid, what goals she chasing, just like you have to multi-task so do these beloveds
- Ingo_don: marquis of condorcet (17/9/1743–29/3/1794), french philosopher, mathematician. his ideas: support for a liberal economy, free+equal public instruction, constitutional government, equal rights for women+people of all races, are showing the ideals of enlightenment and -rationalism.
- Jake_laughton: new contract. well done the bored. all the hippocrates can quite down now, we don’t wanna do a bury, just remember the richardson days please, he’ll come good, don’t forget marquis wasn’t prolific when he first signed
- Addielucbot: 'come,' he says, eyes gone emerald with arrogant glee. 'i heard the marquis’s chef is one of the best in paris.' he offers her his arm, but she does not take it. 'you don’t really expect me to dine with you.'
- Marquis__young: she don’t even pray for your well-being at night but she want you to open up your wallet for her be smart out here fellas