Who is Coventry Patmore...
Read Full Biography
Coventry Patmore Poems
- The Angel In The House. Book I. Canto V.
I The Comparison
Where she succeeds with cloudless brow, ...
Through female subtlety intense,
Or the good luck of innocence,
Or both, my Wife, with whom I plan
To pass calm evenings when I can, ...
- The Foreign Land
A woman is a foreign land,
Of which, though there he settle young,
A man will ne'er quite understand
The customs, politics, and tongue. ...
- The Angel In The House. Book Ii. Canto I.
I The Song of Songs
The pulse of War, whose bloody heats ...
No praise to me!
My joy 'twas to be nothing but the glass
Thro' which the general boon of Heaven should pass,
To focus upon thee. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Coventry PatmoreLove 54 I Love You 54 Sweet 47 Heart 45 Life 44 Thought 33 Heaven 32 Time 31 Good 31 Light 30
Coventry Patmore Quotes
- The more wild and incredible your desire, the more willing and prompt God is in fulfilling it, if you will have it so.
- To him that waits all things reveal themselves, provided that he has the courage not to deny, in the darkness, what he has seen in the light.
Comments about Coventry Patmore
- Prosodyarchive: just added: coventry patmore's "english metrical critics" (1857) (3/5)
- Kulambq: "the hound of heaven" is quite reminiscent of hopkins's terrible sonnets: a poet wakes and feels the fell of dark not day, wrestling with the ominous silence of god. it's been suggested that f. thompson knew of hopkins's manuscripts through his friendship with coventry patmore.
- Redmaistre: why would i read the theology of the body lectures when i can read coventry patmore instead?
- Durrellsociety: the best lines of english poetry ever written were by coventry patmore: the truth is great and will prevail when none care whether it prevail or not. and their true beauty resides in the fact that patmore when he wrote them did not know what he meant. — lawrence durrell
- Satribesman: “to him that waits all things reveal themselves, provided that he has the courage not to deny, in the darkness, what he has seen in the light.” -coventry patmore