Who is Charles KingsleyCharles Kingsley (12 June 1819 – 23 January 1875) was a broad church priest of the Church of England, a university professor, social reformer, historian, novelist and poet. He is particularly associated with Christian socialism, the working men's college, and forming labour cooperatives, which failed, but encouraged later working reforms. He was a friend and correspondent of Charles Darwin.
Life and character
Kingsley was born in Holne, Devon, the elder son of the Reverend Charles Kingsley and his wife, Mary Lucas Kingsley. His brother Henry Kingsley (1830–1876) and sister Charlotte Chanter (1828–1882) also became writers. He was the father of the novelist Lucas Malet (Mary St. Leger Kingsley, 1852–1931) and the uncle of the traveller and scientist Mary Kin...
Read Full Biography of Charles Kingsley
Charles Kingsley Poems
- The Legend Of La Brea 
Down beside the loathly Pitch Lake,
In the stately Morichal, 
Sat an ancient Spanish Indian,
Peering through the columns tall. ...
- Pen-y-gwrydd: To Tom Hughes, Esq
There is no inn in Snowdon which is not awful dear,
Excepting Pen-y-gwrydd (you can't pronounce it, dear),
Which standeth in the meeting of noble valleys three -
One is the vale of Gwynant, so well beloved by me, ...
- Ode To The North-east Wind
Welcome, wild North-easter.
Shame it is to see
Odes to every zephyr;
Ne'er a verse to thee. ...
- Hymn 
Accept this building, gracious Lord,
No temple though it be;
We raised it for our suffering kin,
And so, Good Lord, for Thee. ...
- Saint Maura. A.d. 304
Thank God! Those gazers' eyes are gone at last!
The guards are crouching underneath the rock;
The lights are fading in the town below,
Around the cottage which this morn was ours. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Charles KingsleyGod 31 Night 29 I Love You 29 Love 29 Earth 29 Long 28 World 26 Sea 26 Heart 25 Young 25
Charles Kingsley Quotes
- Look at the bow in the cloud, in the very rain itself. That is a sign that the sun, though you cannot see it, is shining still -- that up above beyond the cloud is still sunlight and warmth and cloudless blue sky.
- A blessed thing it is for any man or woman to have a friend, one human soul whom we can trust utterly, who knows the best and worst of us, and who loves us in spite of all our faults.
- Every winter, When the great sun has turned his face away, The earth goes down into a vale of grief, And fasts, and weeps, and shrouds herself in sables, Leaving her wedding-garlands to decay-- Then leaps in spring to his returning kisses.
- It is only the great hearted who can be true friends. The mean and cowardly, Can never know what true friendship means.
- We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements in life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
Comments about Charles KingsleyLawattractionpl: "we act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about." charles kingsley
Inspiredus: "beauty if god's handwriting." charles kingsley
Strategics58: we act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. - charles kingsley
Metalrulestv: check out vintage 1947 book westward ho charles kingsley edward a wilson & ephemera rare
Shikeshsorathia: king charles and sir ben kingsley
Read All Comments
Write your comment about Charles Kingsley
Bhavya: Can you please send the answers if possible