Who is Charles Caleb ColtonCharles Caleb Colton (bapt. 11 December 1777 – died 28 April 1832) was an English cleric, writer and collector, well known for his eccentricities.
The son of the Rev. Barfoot Colton, he was educated at Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, graduating B.A. in 1801, and M.A. in 1804. In 1801, he was presented by the college with the perpetual curacy of Tiverton's Prior's Quarter in Devon, where he lived for many years. He was appointed to the vicarage of Kew and Petersham in 1812. His performance of church-related functions at both locations was erratic: at times conscientious and brilliant while at other times cursory and indulgent. He left formal church service, and England, in 1828. Contemporaries believed that he had fled from his creditors, who ...
Read Full Biography of Charles Caleb Colton
Charles Caleb Colton Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Charles Caleb Colton
Charles Caleb Colton Quotes
- The excess of our youth are checks written against our age and they are payable with interest thirty years later.
- To dare to live alone is the rarest courage since there are many who had rather meet their bitterest enemy in the field, than their own hearts in their closet.
- He who studies books alone will know how things ought to be, and he who studies men will know how they are.
- Power will intoxicate the best hearts, as wine the strongest heads. No man is wise enough, nor good enough to be trusted with unlimited power.
- Next to acquiring good friends, the best acquisition is that of good books.
Comments about Charles Caleb ColtonLisaellisonspen: “it may be observed of good writing, as of good blood, that it is much easier to say what it is composed of than to compose it.”― charles caleb colton
Cerebralwisdom: the greatest friend of truth is time, her greatest enemy is prejudice, and her constant companion is humility. - charles caleb colton
Richardogachi: our minds are as different as our faces. we are all traveling to one destination: hapiness, but few are going by the same road. charles caleb colton
Feelgoodfactor: corruption is like a ball of snow, once it's set a rolling it must increase. — charles caleb colton. 2008 crash will look like dumpster fire by comparison to what it going to happen and is happening.
Alexxzoleta: your time and your life. "time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things; the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present becomes the past even while we attempt to define it." - charles caleb colton
Read All Comments