Who is Bret HarteFrancis Brett Hart (August 25, 1836 – May 5, 1902), known as Bret Harte, was an American short-story writer and poet, best remembered for his short fiction featuring miners, gamblers, and other romantic figures of the California Gold Rush. In a career spanning more than four decades, he wrote poetry, plays, lectures, book reviews, editorials, and magazine sketches in addition to fiction. As he moved from California to the eastern U.S. to Europe, he incorporated new subjects and characters into his stories, but his Gold Rush tales have been most often reprinted, adapted, and admired.
BiographyEarly life Harte was born in New York's capital city of Albany. He was named Francis Brett Hart after his great-grandfather, Francis Brett. When he was young...
Read Full Biography
Bret Harte Poems
- What The Wolf Really Said To Little Red Riding-hood
Wondering maiden, so puzzled and fair,
Why dost thou murmur and ponder and stare?
“Why are my eyelids so open and wild?”
Only the better to see with, my child!...
- What The Engines Said
Opening Of The Pacific Railroad
What was it the Engines said,...
- What The Chimney Sang
Over the chimney the night-wind sang
And chanted a melody no one knew;
And the Woman stopped, as her babe she tossed,
And thought of the one she had long since lost,...
- What Miss Edith Saw From Her Window
Our window's not much, though it fronts on the street;
There's a fly in the pane that gets nothin' to eat;
But it's curious how people think it's a treat
For ME to look out of the window!...
- Twenty Years
Beg your pardon, old fellow! I think
I was dreaming just now when you spoke.
The fact is, the musical clink
Of the ice on your wine-goblet's brink...
Top 10 most used topics by Bret HarteNever 44 Thought 38 Long 37 Night 35 White 35 Face 35 High 34 Away 33 Sun 30 Time 29
Bret Harte QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Bret Harte
- Guydossi: bret harte only got to play five of eight games and the final ended in a 3-1 loss to argonaut
- Guydossi: some pictures from the final soccer game of the season. bret harte lost to argonaut 3-1.
- Mcs4kids: we love to see bret harte elementary's creative performances - all while adhering to health and safety protocols! enjoy these creative spanish lyrics, led by principal marla conteh on the microphone and her team of bret harte staff with a 6' apart choreographed line dance!
- Mcssuptnoguchi: principal marla conteh at bret harte is so creative!! this is awesome!
- Guydossi: some pictures from bret harte girls’ soccer vs. summerville