Who is Bret HarteFrancis Brett Hart (August 25, 1836 – May 5, 1902), known as Bret Harte, was an American short-story writer and poet, best remembered for his short fiction featuring miners, gamblers, and other romantic figures of the California Gold Rush. In a career spanning more than four decades, he wrote poetry, plays, lectures, book reviews, editorials, and magazine sketches in addition to fiction. As he moved from California to the eastern U.S. to Europe, he incorporated new subjects and characters into his stories, but his Gold Rush tales have been most often reprinted, adapted, and admired.
BiographyEarly life Harte was born in New York's capital city of Albany. He was named Francis Brett Hart after his great-grandfather, Francis Brett. When he was young...
Read Full Biography
Bret Harte Poems
- What The Wolf Really Said To Little Red Riding-hood
Wondering maiden, so puzzled and fair,
Why dost thou murmur and ponder and stare?
“Why are my eyelids so open and wild?”
Only the better to see with, my child!...
- What The Engines Said
Opening Of The Pacific Railroad
What was it the Engines said,...
- What The Chimney Sang
Over the chimney the night-wind sang
And chanted a melody no one knew;
And the Woman stopped, as her babe she tossed,
And thought of the one she had long since lost,...
- What Miss Edith Saw From Her Window
Our window's not much, though it fronts on the street;
There's a fly in the pane that gets nothin' to eat;
But it's curious how people think it's a treat
For ME to look out of the window!...
- Twenty Years
Beg your pardon, old fellow! I think
I was dreaming just now when you spoke.
The fact is, the musical clink
Of the ice on your wine-goblet's brink...
Top 10 most used topics by Bret HarteNever 44 Thought 38 Long 37 Night 35 White 35 Face 35 High 34 Away 33 Sun 30 Time 29
Bret Harte QuotesRead All Quotes
Comments about Bret Harte
- Keky323: someone flipped onto bret harte
- Ousdnews: today, take a virtual tour of bret harte middle school (5 pm) and roosevelt middle school (6 pm). more information:
- Annfreespirited: the international date line is a human invention. invented by francis bret harte, the lost galleon (1867). i told you humans created everything in this world.
- Deancrystle: a spike ball game at the oak tree of "tag, you're it" as my homie and i used to play esp. after he walked me home from my middle school at bret harte in oakland, ca. the spike balls were mostly green on those days and during the fall, they turned brown. the tree was everywhere.
- Hydeparkherald: "you're only as safe as the people around you," one teacher said. "i'm only as safe as those seven families have been safe, and the kids."