Who is Bertrand RussellBertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell OM FRS (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970) was a British polymath, philosopher, logician, mathematician, historian, writer, social critic, political activist, and Nobel laureate. Throughout his life, Russell considered himself a liberal, a socialist and a pacifist, although he also sometimes suggested that his sceptical nature had led him to feel that he had "never been any of these things, in any profound sense". Russell was born in Monmouthshire into one of the most prominent aristocratic families in the United Kingdom.
In the early 20th century, Russell led the British "revolt against idealism". He is considered one of the founders of analytic philosophy along with his predecessor Gottlob Frege, colleague G. E....
Read Full Biography
Bertrand Russell Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Bertrand Russell
Bertrand Russell Quotes
- To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it.
- It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion.
- Admiration of the proletariat, like that of dams, power stations, and aeroplanes, is part of the ideology of the machine age.
- Ethics is in origin the art of recommending to others the sacrifices required for cooperation with oneself.
- Man needs, for his happiness, not only the enjoyment of this or that, but hope and enterprise and change.
Comments about Bertrand Russell
- Atmasingh2022: ww1 was one the worst strategic mistakes (blind error) in western history. it resulted in the horrors of war with no valid reason. it's consequences were even more horrific - with the russian revolution & the rise of nazism resulting from it. bertrand russell made this point.
- Tweetingnn: vert is officially heaven won a phase 1: bertrand russell vs jim henson and max medeiros. i think it's funny that the city of chicago is finalizing a deal for sustainable '97 edge. the deal is not done yet.
- Tweetz789: the whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.- bertrand russell
- Didienazhar: "the domination of the white man over the rest of the world since the sixteenth century is coming to an end. it will not go on any more in asia which is awake." bertrand russell concerning the end of british imperialism and indian independence (1945)
- Ajbousquet: "it should be understood that if all the explosives used in the entire duration of world war ii were employed every day beginning tomorrow, it would take 146 years to exhaust the stockpile of nuclear weapons." - bertrand russell (1961)