Who is Archie Randolph AmmonsArchie Randolph Ammons (February 18, 1926 – February 25, 2001) was an American poet who won the annual National Book Award for Poetry in 1973 and 1993.
Poetic themes Ammons wrote about humanity's relationship to nature in alternately comic and solemn tones. His poetry often addresses religious and philosophical matters and scenes involving nature, almost in a Transcendental fashion. According to reviewer Daniel Hoffman, his work "is founded on an implied Emersonian division of experience into Nature and the Soul," adding that it "sometimes consciously echo[es] familiar lines from Emerson, Whitman and Dickinson."
Life Ammons grew up on a tobacco farm near Whiteville, North Carolina, in the southeastern part of the sta...
Read Full Biography
Archie Randolph Ammons Poems
- Winter Scene
There is now not a single
leaf on the cherry tree:
except when the jay
plummets in, lights, and, ...
A day without rain is like
a day without sunshine
- Greeting Verses
What do I find right at the center of my interpersonal
relationships: a slightly dispersed but indisputably
tinctured core of brutality: go to the hospital
- Small Song
The reeds give way to the wind
and give the wind away.
- The City Limits
When you consider the radiance, that it does not withhold
itself but pours its abundance without selection into every
nook and cranny not overhung or hidden; when you consider
Top 10 most used topics by Archie Randolph AmmonsHigh 6 Wind 6 Winter 5 Time 4 Rain 4 World 4 Away 4 Green 4 Grass 4 Place 4
Archie Randolph Ammons Quotes
Comments about Archie Randolph Ammons
- Sergiomonsalvoc: a. r. ammons: garbage
- Kokeesachdeva: after yesterday afternoon's blue clouds and white rain the mockingbird in the backyard untied the drops from leaves and twigs with a long singing. ~ "after yesterday" -archie randolph ammons
- Macleod_miss: february 16th is by archie randolph ammons. all of my poetry books have pancake poems around the 11th/12th so no pancake day poems today unfortunately. however, i couldn't pass up posting this poem with this stunning illustration. frann preston-gannon's illustrations are amazing!
- Karl_evver: "matters having become not only small but critical" archie randolph ammons
- Artsalamode: born 2/18: painters max klinger, anders zorn, sculptor henry laurens, glassmaker louis comfort tiffany, collage artist wallace berman, architect leone battista alberti, writers andre breton, wallace stegner, archie randolph "a.r." ammons, len deighton, jean auel, audre lorde.