Who is Archibald LampmanArchibald Lampman FRSC (17 November 1861 – 10 February 1899) was a Canadian poet. "He has been described as 'the Canadian Keats;' and he is perhaps the most outstanding exponent of the Canadian school of nature poets." The Canadian Encyclopedia says that he is "generally considered the finest of Canada's late 19th-century poets in English."
Lampman is classed as one of Canada's Confederation Poets, a group which also includes Charles G.D. Roberts, Bliss Carman, and Duncan Campbell Scott.
Life Archibald Lampman was born at Morpeth, Ontario, a village near Chatham, the son of Archibald Lampman, an Anglican clergyman. "The Morpeth that Lampman knew was a small town set in the rolling farm country of what is now western Ontario, not far from th...
Read Full Biography
Archibald Lampman Poems
- Vivia Perpetua
Now being on the eve of death, discharged
From every mortal hope and earthly care,
I questioned how my soul might best employ
This hand, and this still wakeful flame of mind, ...
- The City Of The End Of Things
Beside the pounding cataracts
Of midnight streams unknown to us
'Tis builded in the leafless tracts
And valleys huge of Tartarus. ...
- Amor Vitë
I love the warm bare earth and all
That works and dreams thereon:
I love the seasons yet to fall:
I love the ages gone, ...
All day between high-curded clouds the sun
Shone down like summer on the steaming planks.
The long, bright icicles in dwindling ranks
Dripped from the murmuring eaves till one by one ...
- Morning On The Lië"vres
Far above us where a jay
Screams his matins to the day,
Capped with gold and amethyst,
Like a vapour from the forge ...
Top 10 most used topics by Archibald LampmanLong 72 Sweet 70 Dream 68 Life 64 Night 62 Light 60 Wind 54 Earth 53 Heart 52 Soft 51
Archibald Lampman Quotes
Comments about Archibald Lampman
- Raj65025523: from ‘a thunderstorm’ (1899) by canadian poet archibald lampman. detail from labrador coast (c. 1860), depicting a cumulonimbus storm cloud, by american marine and landscape painter william bradford, in the collection of the cleveland museum of art, cleveland, ohio, us
- Meekvicissitude: blue, blue was the heaven above me, and the earth green at my feet; “oh, life! oh, life!” i kept saying, and the very word seemed sweet. -life and nature, archibald lampman
- Bettertoenails: a longish posts on maps, highways, road trips, deep geological time, 4000+ years of uninterrupted dynastic rule in china, the interstate system, the proposed pan-american highway, and archibald lampman:
- Libraryatgcc: a poem for earth week 2022 voices of earth (1895) archibald lampman we have not heard the music of the spheres, the song of star to star, but there are sounds more deep than human joy and human tears, that nature uses in her common rounds...
- Terremaati: wakes in his heart thoughts bedded there, impearled, before the birth and making of the world. by archibald lampman