Who is Andrew LangAndrew Lang FBA (1844–1912) was a Scottish poet, novelist, literary critic, and contributor to the field of anthropology. He is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales. The Andrew Lang lectures at the University of St Andrews are named after him.
Biography Lang was born on 31 March 1844 in Selkirk. He was the eldest of the eight children born to John Lang, the town clerk of Selkirk, and his wife Jane Plenderleath Sellar, who was the daughter of Patrick Sellar, factor to the first duke of Sutherland. On 17 April 1875, he married Leonora Blanche Alleyne, youngest daughter of C. T. Alleyne of Clifton and Barbados. She was (or should have been) variously credited as author, collaborator, or translator of Lang's Color/Rainbow Fairy Books which h...
Read Full Biography
Andrew Lang Poems
- Ballad Of The Primitive Jest
I am an ancient Jest!
In his arboreal nest
The sparks of fun would fan; ...
- Ballade Of The Muse
The man whom once, Melpomene,
Thou look'st on with benignant sight,
Shall never at the Isthmus be
A boxer eminent in fight, ...
- Valentine In Form Of Ballade
The soft wind from the south land sped,
He set his strength to blow,
From forests where Adonis bled,
And lily flowers a-row: ...
- Ballade Of Dead Ladies
Nay, tell me now in what strange air
The Roman Flora dwells to-day.
Where Archippiada hides, and where
Beautiful Thais has passed away? ...
Homer, thy song men liken to the sea
With all the notes of music in its tone,
With tides that wash the dim dominion
Of Hades, and light waves that laugh in glee ...
Top 10 most used topics by Andrew LangNever 81 Love 79 I Love You 79 Sea 73 Red 64 Night 58 Green 56 Life 54 Dear 53 Away 53
Andrew Lang Quotes
- He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than for illumination.
- You can cover a great deal of country in books.
Comments about Andrew Lang
- Judyannaggie: search for bodies concludes at florida condo collapse site
- Flynn_simon: 'he uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts – for support rather than for illumination.' andrew lang, victorian intellectual and writer
- Mo_content: tales of troy and greece - audiobook download - author: andrew lang; narrator: frederick davidson; format: audio book (digital audiobook download)
- Booktree_ng: the blue fairy book by andrew lang pdf
- Andrew_malong: (4/4): kaya please lang, magparehistro ka na as a voter sa halalan 2022 and vote for someone who imposes good qualities of a leader. otherwise mauulit lang itong worst scenario for another 6 years.