Who is Amy LevyAmy Judith Levy (10 November 1861 – 10 September 1889) was a British essayist, poet, and novelist best remembered for her literary gifts; her experience as the first Jewish woman at Cambridge University and as a pioneering woman student at Newnham College, Cambridge; her feminist positions; her friendships with others living what came later to be called a "New Woman" life, some of whom were lesbians; and her relationships with both women and men in literary and politically activist circles in London during the 1880s.
Biography Levy was born in Clapham, an affluent district of London, on 10 November 1861, to Lewis and Isobel Levy. She was the second of seven children born into a Jewish family with a "casual attitude toward religious observance...
Read Full Biography
Amy Levy Poems
- A Cross-road Epitaph
"Am Kreuzweg wird begraben
Wer selber brachte sich um."
Back to the mystic shore beyond the main
The mystic craft has sped, and left no trace.
Ah, nevermore may she behold his face,
Nor touch his hand, nor hear his voice again! ...
Now, even, I cannot think it true,
My friend, that there is no more you.
Almost as soon were no more I,
Which were, of course, absurdity! ...
If I were a woman of old,
What prayers I would pray for you, dear;
My pitiful tribute behold--
Not a prayer, but a tear. ...
- To Death
If within my heart there's mould, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Amy LevyHeart 35 Love 27 I Love You 27 Sweet 24 Long 23 Face 19 Life 19 Night 18 Death 17 Never 16
Amy Levy Quotes
Comments about Amy Levy
- Consertum: now, grown so tired, we scarce can lift the lazy oars, but onward drift. and the silence is only stirred here and there by a broken word. amy levy / the end of the day
- Grantstern: republicans crying about a supreme court study but all of them voted to pack the court with unqualified partisans like amy coney barrett just six months ago in the middle of an election.
- Stanciljim: what amy schumer would look like if she was healthy
- Octalkradio: using public relations to your strategic advantage using public relations to your strategic advantage
- Leftcoastbabe: tammy duckworth on w/ stephen colbert, reminding us of early pandemic zoom fails w/ mute button-on conference call with all dem senators, told her daughter to "go potty & make sure you wash your hands." & amy klobuchar broke in "tammy duckworth is giving us very good advice."