Who is Amy LevyAmy Judith Levy (10 November 1861 – 10 September 1889) was a British essayist, poet, and novelist best remembered for her literary gifts; her experience as the first Jewish woman at Cambridge University and as a pioneering woman student at Newnham College, Cambridge; her feminist positions; her friendships with others living what came later to be called a "New Woman" life, some of whom were lesbians; and her relationships with both women and men in literary and politically activist circles in London during the 1880s.
Biography Levy was born in Clapham, an affluent district of London, on 10 November 1861, to Lewis and Isobel Levy. She was the second of seven children born into a Jewish family with a "casual attitude toward religious observance...
Read Full Biography
Amy Levy Poems
- A Cross-road Epitaph
"Am Kreuzweg wird begraben
Wer selber brachte sich um."
Back to the mystic shore beyond the main
The mystic craft has sped, and left no trace.
Ah, nevermore may she behold his face,
Nor touch his hand, nor hear his voice again! ...
Now, even, I cannot think it true,
My friend, that there is no more you.
Almost as soon were no more I,
Which were, of course, absurdity! ...
If I were a woman of old,
What prayers I would pray for you, dear;
My pitiful tribute behold--
Not a prayer, but a tear. ...
- To Death
If within my heart there's mould, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Amy LevyHeart 35 Love 27 I Love You 27 Sweet 24 Long 23 Face 19 Life 19 Night 18 Death 17 Never 16
Amy Levy Quotes
Comments about Amy Levy
- Kevin_oshiro: ll cool j, , jada pinkett-smith, yara shahidi, rita wilson, anthony anderson,, kate beckinsale, adrien brody, stephen colbert, jennifer coolidge, kaley cuoco, america ferrera, mindy kaling, vanessa lachey, dan levy, eugene levy, catherine o’hara, amy poehler,
- Crimereads: a roundtable discussion with ivy pochoda, amy gentry, cynthia pelayo, elisabeth de mariaffi, lisa taddeo, and lisa levy.
- Enolasdarling: if you stan any of these people lets be mutuals - millie bobby brown - winona ryder - amy winehouse - patrick stewart - dan levy - lauryn hill - helena bonham carter - vera farmiga - caleb mclaughlin - david harbour - dionne bromfield - phoebe bridgers - jimi hendrix
- Lubeyond6conf: walbank begins by bringing forward ideas surrounding 'new womanhood' that became prevalent in the 19th century, centring around amy levy and the urban landscape. walbank brings this idea into the modern day by relating these concepts to the murder of sarah everard early in 2021 .
- Crimereads: a roundtable discussion with ivy pochoda, amy gentry, cynthia pelayo, elisabeth de mariaffi, lisa taddeo, and lisa levy!