Who is Alice Duer MillerMiller circa 1920 Alice Duer Miller (July 28, 1874 – August 22, 1942) was a writer from the U.S. whose poetry actively influenced political opinion. Her feminist verses made an impact on the suffrage issue, and her verse novel The White Cliffs encouraged U.S. entry into World War II. She also wrote novels and screenplays.
BiographyFamily Alice Duer was born in New York City on July 28, 1874, into a wealthy family. She was the daughter of James Gore King Duer and Elizabeth Wilson Meads, the daugh...
Read Full Biography
Alice Duer Miller Poems
- A Creed
COURAGE to ask of love neither sign nor token,
Wisdom to wait, silence and faith are better;
Fear, not alone lest the bond be some day broken,
But, that love, too desperately dear, become a fetter....
- The Penintent
'NEVER,' he said, 'nevermore,
In the murmuring stillness of night
Shall I wait for her hand on my door,
Confident, light; ...
- An American To France
O FRANCE, with what a shamed and sorry smile
We now recall that in a bygone day
We sought of you art, wit, perfection, style;
You were to us a playground and a play. ...
- The History Of A Minute
I saw a lady on the stair,
And she was, oh, so strangely fair,
With a knot of butter-colored hair,
And a waiting, listening, wondering air. ...
- Easton's Beach
LAST night I saw a city by the sea,
Outlined in sparks of fire;
Those wreathed lamps made all a fantasy -
Arch, dome and spire. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Alice Duer MillerWoman 37 Women 35 Love 25 I Love You 25 Home 23 Long 23 Dear 21 Never 19 Time 18 Good 17
Alice Duer Miller Quotes
Comments about Alice Duer Miller
- Wiselifequotes2: “if it’s very painful for you to criticize your friends — you’re safe in doing it. but if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that’s the time to hold your tongue.” -alice duer miller via wise life lesson
- Tributariesintl: listening is not merely not talking...it means taking a vigorous, human interest in what is being told us. you can listen like a blank wall or like a splendid auditorium where every sound comes back fuller and richer.―alice duer miller
- Grrl_herstorian: suffragists in 1915 have already weighed in, courtesy of alice duer miller
- Itzlyndz: "if it's very painful for you to criticize your friends - you're safe in doing it. but if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that's the time to hold your tongue.' ~alice duer miller
- Notaterrornerd: enter your thesis title into this ai art generator. mine was: 'men are too emotional to vote' - the suffragette poetry of alice duer miller and charlotte perkins gilman