Who is Alice Duer MillerMiller circa 1920 Alice Duer Miller (July 28, 1874 – August 22, 1942) was a writer from the U.S. whose poetry actively influenced political opinion. Her feminist verses made an impact on the suffrage issue, and her verse novel The White Cliffs encouraged U.S. entry into World War II. She also wrote novels and screenplays.
BiographyFamily Alice Duer was born in New York City on July 28, 1874, into a wealthy family. She was the daughter of James Gore King Duer and Elizabeth Wilson Meads, the daugh...
Read Full Biography
Alice Duer Miller Poems
- A Creed
COURAGE to ask of love neither sign nor token,
Wisdom to wait, silence and faith are better;
Fear, not alone lest the bond be some day broken,
But, that love, too desperately dear, become a fetter....
- The Penintent
'NEVER,' he said, 'nevermore,
In the murmuring stillness of night
Shall I wait for her hand on my door,
Confident, light; ...
- An American To France
O FRANCE, with what a shamed and sorry smile
We now recall that in a bygone day
We sought of you art, wit, perfection, style;
You were to us a playground and a play. ...
- The History Of A Minute
I saw a lady on the stair,
And she was, oh, so strangely fair,
With a knot of butter-colored hair,
And a waiting, listening, wondering air. ...
- Easton's Beach
LAST night I saw a city by the sea,
Outlined in sparks of fire;
Those wreathed lamps made all a fantasy -
Arch, dome and spire. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Alice Duer MillerWoman 37 Women 35 Love 25 I Love You 25 Home 23 Long 23 Dear 21 Never 19 Time 18 Good 17
Alice Duer Miller Quotes
Comments about Alice Duer Miller
- Stoyanstefanov: democracy is this—to hold that all who wander down the pike in cart or car, on foot or bike, or male or female, young or old, are much alike—are much alike. these are the words of alice duer miller that i set to music. premiere tonight at 7:30pm pst
- Personaldevel_: “if it’s very painful for you to criticize your friends — you’re safe in doing it. but if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that’s the time to hold your tongue.” -alice duer miller via wise life lesson
- Melgsy: you, uh, might also find an envelope of newspaper clippings and letters from alice duer miller and her husband taped under the front flap of the dustjacket. (!!!)
- Wiselifequotes2: “if it’s very painful for you to criticize your friends — you’re safe in doing it. but if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that’s the time to hold your tongue.” -alice duer miller via wise life lesson
- Vocalcomposer: the word is getting out about this cd which features the words of an incredible lineup of strong women: susan b. anthony, alice duer miller, emily dickinson, margaret atwood, christina rossetti, and more!