Who is Algernon Charles SwinburneAlgernon Charles Swinburne (5 April 1837 – 10 April 1909) was an English poet, playwright, novelist, and critic. He wrote several novels and collections of poetry such as Poems and Ballads, and contributed to the famous Eleventh Edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica.
Swinburne wrote about many taboo topics, such as lesbianism, cannibalism, sado-masochism, and anti-theism. His poems have many common motifs, such as the ocean, time, and death. Several historical people are featured in his poems, such as Sappho ("Sapphics"), Anactoria ("Anactoria"), Jesus ("Hymn to Proserpine": Galilaee, La. "Galilean") and Catullus ("To Catullus").
Read Full Biography
Algernon Charles Swinburne Poems
- Autumn In Cornwall
The year lies fallen and faded
On cliffs by clouds invaded,
With tongues of storms upbraided,
With wrath of waves bedinned; ...
- Summer In Auvergne
The sundawn fills the land
Full as a feaster's hand
Fills full with bloom of bland
Bright wine his cup; ...
- Spring In Tuscany
Rose-red lilies that bloom on the banner;
Rose-cheeked gardens that revel in spring;
Rose-mouthed acacias that laugh as they climb,
Like plumes for a queen's hand fashioned to fan her ...
- Winter In Northumberland
Outside the garden
The wet skies harden;
The gates are barred on
The summer side: ...
- Joyeuse Garde
The sun was heavy; no more shade at all
Than you might cover with a hollow cup
There was in the south chamber; wall by wall,
Slowly the hot noon filled the castle up. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Algernon Charles SwinburneI Love You 345 Love 345 Light 305 Heart 294 Life 281 Time 272 Sweet 270 Death 268 Sea 259 Night 252
Algernon Charles Swinburne Quotes
Comments about Algernon Charles Swinburne
- _inspirationbot: in every part and corner of our life, to lose oneself is to be a gainer; to forget oneself is to be happy. - algernon charles swinburne
- Forrestaguirre: 4 of 5 stars to major poems and selected prose by algernon charles swinburne
- Forrestaguirre: my review of major poems and selected prose by algernon charles swinburne ...
- Howie7951: 14 october 2021's sixers mixers word anagram game words are: dreams powers. (words from poem by algernon charles swinburne via the archives of harry lineaday 14 october 1969). pls see/share more: youtube "harry's collection of inspirational quotes in synergy with concise verb..."
- Thomasmichaelw: to his sister, isabel, may 1907: 'pray tell mrs thomas how very glad i am to hear that my contribution to your fund on behalf of little charlie watts was so serviceable.' algernon charles swinburne, time-travelling stones fan (and acquaintance of my mum? she kept that quiet).