Who is Alfred AustinAlfred Austin DL (30 May 1835 – 2 June 1913) was an English poet who was appointed Poet Laureate in 1896, after an interval following the death of Tennyson, when the other candidates had either caused controversy or refused the honour. It was claimed that he was being rewarded for his support for the Conservative leader Lord Salisbury in the General Election of 1895. Austin’s poems are little-remembered today, his most popular work being prose idylls celebrating nature.
Life Alfred Austin was born in Headingley, near Leeds, on 30 May 1835, to a Roman Catholic family. His father, Joseph Austin, was a merchant in Leeds; his mother was a sister of Joseph Locke, the civil engineer and M.P. for Honiton. Austin was educated at Stonyhurst College (Clitheroe, L...
Read Full Biography
Alfred Austin Poems
- At Shelley-s Grave
Beneath this marble, mute of praise,
Is hushed the heart of One
Who, whilst it beat, had eagle's gaze
To stare upon the sun. ...
- The White Pall Of Peace
Over the peaceful veldt,
Silently, snowflakes fall!
Silently, slow, unfelt,
Cover the Past with a pall! ...
- Vis Medicatrix Naturae
When Faith turns false and Fancy grows unkind,
And Fortune, more from fickleness than spite,
Takes the keen savour out of all delight,
And of sweet pulp leaves only bitter rind, ...
- All Hail To The Czar!
All hail to the Czar! By the fringe of the foam
That thunders, untamed, around Albion's shore,
See multitudes throng, dense as sea-birds whose home
Is betwixt the deaf rocks and the ocean's mad roar; ...
- Alea Jacta
Dearest, I know thee wise and good,
Beloved by all the best;
With fancy like Ithuriel's spear,
A judgment proof 'gainst rage or fear, ...
Top 10 most used topics by Alfred AustinI Love You 124 Love 124 Heart 94 Sweet 88 Life 85 Long 84 Face 71 Never 67 Song 63 Spring 62
Alfred Austin Quotes
- Is life worth living? Yes, so long as there is wrong to right.
- So long as faith with freedom reigns And loyal hope survives, And gracious charity remains To leaven lowly lives; While there is one untrodden tract For intellect or will, And men are free to think and act, Life is worth living still.
Comments about Alfred Austin
- Noahmoreparties: aaron jones, ahmad bradshaw, austin ekeler, danny woodhead, marlon mack, jordan howard, jay ajayi, isaiah crowell, latavius murray, alfred morris, all tried and failed to carve out roles in the nfl after falling to the 4th round and beyond. rip kenny gainwell
- Tlc00001: show me your garden and i shall tell you what you are ~ alfred austin.
- Patrickjg98: “we come from the and return to the earth, in between we garden.” - alfred austin
- Outandabout: for subscribers: east austin native alfred dotson: 102 years of wisdom, grace and joy
- Archangel_radio: austin ruse joins us now to share his article, "the little lady who brought down alfred kinsey"