Who is Alan SeegerAlan Seeger (22 June 1888 – 4 July 1916) was an American poet who fought and died in World War I during the Battle of the Somme, serving in the French Foreign Legion. Seeger was the brother of Charles Seeger, a noted American pacifist and musicologist. He is best known for the poem I Have a Rendezvous with Death, a favorite of President John F. Kennedy. A statue representing him is on the monument in the Place des États-Unis, Paris, honoring fallen Americans who volunteered for France during the war. Seeger is sometimes called the "American Rupert Brooke."
Read Full Biography
Alan Seeger Poems
- All That's Not Love . .
All that's not love is the dearth of my days,
The leaves of the volume with rubric unwrit,
The temple in times without prayer, without praise,
The altar unset and the candle unlit. ...
- I Loved . .
I loved illustrious cities and the crowds
That eddy through their incandescent nights.
I loved remote horizons with far clouds
Girdled, and fringed about with snowy heights. ...
- Virginibus Puerisque . .
I care not that one listen if he lives
For aught but life's romance, nor puts above
All life's necessities the need to love,
Nor counts his greatest wealth what Beauty gives. ...
- Translations Ariosto. Orlando Furioso, Canto X, 91-99
Ruggiero, to amaze the British host,
And wake more wonder in their wondering ranks,
The bridle of his winged courser loosed,
And clapped his spurs into the creature's flanks; ...
- Fragment Iii
For there were nights . . . my love to him whose brow
Has glistened with the spoils of nights like those,
Home turning as a conqueror turns home,
What time green dawn down every street uprears ...
Top 10 most used topics by Alan SeegerSweet 71 Love 61 I Love You 61 Beauty 51 World 48 Sonnet 44 Blue 40 Heart 36 Deep 35 Life 35
Alan Seeger Quotes
Comments about Alan Seeger
- Lavendersharpie: oh my god were watching the gears of war trailer in history of rock & roll because it has one of alan seeger’s poems in it. he was a folk singer. that’s the connection this class has to gears of war 2.
- 987dzfe: the chamber music society of lincoln center (1600) features a string quartet by american composer ruth crawford seeger, performed on the show by the jupiter string quartet. after that, we'll hear alan louis smith's vignettes.
- War_poets: 28 april 1915 the new york sun publishes alan seeger’s article ‘what is there for one to say who belongs to those units that have only been waiting inactive, preparing for the great events that advancing spring ought to be bringing nearer and nearer?’
- Simkintr: did an 11.5 mile "figure 8" loop from greenwood furnace to alan seeger. beautiful day, and took some fun pictures.
- Akhawaja2014: -poet alan seeger -poem a message to america