Who is William Schwenck GilbertGilbert was born at 17 Southampton Street, Strand, London. His father, also named William, was briefly a naval surgeon, who later became a writer of novels and short stories, some of which were illustrated by his son. Gilbert's mother was the former Anne Mary Bye Morris (1812–1888), the daughter of Thomas Morris, an apothecary. Gilbert's parents were distant and stern, and he did not have a particularly close relationship with either of them. They quarrelled increasingly, and following the break-up of their marriage in 1876, his relationships with them, especially his mother, became even more strained. Gilbert had three younger sisters, two of whom were born outside England because of the family's travels during these years: Jane Morris (b. 1838 in Milan, Italy – 1906), who m...
Read Full Biography
William Schwenck Gilbert Poems
- Baines Carew, Gentleman
Of all the good attorneys who
Have placed their names upon the roll,
But few could equal BAINES CAREW
For tender-heartedness and soul. ...
- The Practical Joker
Oh what a fund of joy jocund lies hid in harmless hoaxes!
What keen enjoyment springs
From cheap and simple things!
What deep delight from sources trite inventive humour coaxes, ...
- Only Roses!
To a garden full of posies
Cometh one to gather flowers,
And he wanders through its bowers
Toying with the wanton roses, ...
- The Pantomime "super" To His Mask
Vast empty shell!
Impertinent, preposterous abortion!
With vacant stare,
And ragged hair, ...
- The Yarn Of The "nancy Bell"
'Twas on the shores that round our coast
From Deal to Ramsgate span,
That I found alone, on a piece of stone,
An elderly naval man. ...
Top 10 most used topics by William Schwenck GilbertNever 88 Good 80 I Love You 54 Love 54 Away 52 Time 51 Young 51 Face 50 Long 49 Pretty 47
William Schwenck Gilbert Quotes
Comments about William Schwenck Gilbert
- Ipasource: perfect for bass - when all the night long a chap remains, text by william schwenck gilbert and set by sir arthur seymour sullivan. download the text:
- Ipasource: perfect for bass - the policeman's song, text by william schwenck gilbert and set by sir arthur seymour sullivan. download the text:
- Ipasource: perfect for bass - my boy, you may take it from me, text by william schwenck gilbert and set by sir arthur seymour sullivan. download the text:
- Ipasource: perfect for bass - if you give me your attention, text by sir william schwenck gilbert & set by sir arthur seymour sullivan. download:
- Psycmikev: one against the world by william schwenck gilbert copy