Who is William Edmondstoune AytounWilliam Edmondstoune Aytoun FRSE (21 June 1813 – 4 August 1865) was a Scottish poet, lawyer by training, and professor of rhetoric and belles lettres at the University of Edinburgh. He published poetry, translation, prose fiction, criticism and satire and was a lifelong contributor to the Edinburgh literary periodical Blackwoods Magazine. He was also a collector of Scottish ballads.
In the early 1850s, Professor Aytoun lent his name as a supporter of the fledgling National Association for the Vindication of Scottish Rights. His distinctive legacy as a teacher has led to him being called the 'first modern professor of English Literature'.
Early life and education
Read Full Biography
William Edmondstoune Aytoun Poems
- Broken Pitcher, The
It was a Moorish maiden was sitting by a well,
And what the maiden thought of I cannot, cannot tell.
When by there rode a valiant knight from the town of Oviedo,
Alphonso Guzman was he hight, the Count of Desparedo. ...
- Lay Of The Lover's Friend, The
|Air| "The days we went a-gipsying."
I would all womankind were dead,
Or banished o'er the sea; ...
- Epitaph Of Constantine Kanaris
I am Constantine Kanaris:
I, who lie beneath this stone,
Twice into the air in thunder
Have the Turkish galleys blown. ...
- The Sheik Of Sinai In 1830
'Lift me without the tent, I say,-
Me and my ottoman,- ...
- The Buried Flower
In the silence of my chamber,
When the night is still and deep,
And the drowsy heave of ocean
Mutters in its charmed sleep, ...
Top 10 most used topics by William Edmondstoune AytounNever 14 Long 14 Night 12 Beneath 12 Dark 11 Bring 11 God 11 Heart 11 Light 10 Hear 10
William Edmondstoune Aytoun Quotes
Comments about William Edmondstoune Aytoun
- Plastic_bio: fhairshon had a son,who married noah's daughter,and nearly spoiled ta flood,by drinking up the water.which he would have done,i at least pelieve it,had the mixture beenonly half glenlivet. - william edmondstoune aytoun
- Briansimspa: “nowhere beats the heart so kindly as beneath the tartan plaid.” —william edmondstoune aytoun
- Littleshopbc: lays of the scottish cavaliers + william edmondstoune aytoun + donohue, henneberry & co. + 1890s + vintage literature book
- Donaldh11469395: “ like a brave old scottish cavalier, all of the olden time! [ the old scottish cavalier ]” william edmondstoune aytoun [ 1813- 1865 ]
- Donaldh11469395: “ have you heard of philip slingsby, slingsby of the manly chest; how he slew the snapping turtle in the regions of the west? [ the fight with the snapping turtle ]” william edmondstoune aytoun [ 1813- 1865 ]