Who is William AllinghamWilliam Allingham (19 March 1824 – 18 November 1889) was an Irish poet, diarist and editor. He wrote several volumes of lyric verse, and his poem 'The Faeries' was much anthologised; but he is better known for his posthumously published Diary, in which he records his lively encounters with Tennyson, Carlyle and other writers and artists. His wife, Helen Allingham, was a well-known watercolourist and illustrator.
Biography William Allingham was born on 19 March 1824 in Ballyshannon, a small town in the south of County Donegal in Ulster in the north of Ireland; he was the son of the manager of a local bank who was of English descent. His younger brothers and sisters were Catherine (b. 1826), John (b. 1827), Jane (b. 1829), Edward (b. 1831; who lived only a ...
Read Full Biography
William Allingham Poems
- Song. O Spirit Of The Summer-time!
O spirit of the Summer-time!
Bring back the roses to the dells;
The swallow from her distant clime,
The honey-bee from drowsy cells. ...
- A Memory
Four ducks on a pond,
A grass-bank beyond,
A blue sky of spring,
White clouds on the wing; ...
- A Day-dream's Reflection
Chequer'd with woven shadows as I lay
Among the grass, blinking the watery gleam,
I saw an Echo-Spirit in his bay
Most idly floating in the noontide beam. ...
Gold tassel upon March's bugle-horn,
Whose blithe reveille blows from hill to hill
And every valley rings--O Daffodil!
What promise for the season newly born? ...
- The Touchstone
A man there came, whence none could tell,
Bearing a Touchstone in his hand;
And tested all things in the land
By its unerring spell. ...
Top 10 most used topics by William AllinghamNight 17 Sun 16 Summer 15 White 15 Song 15 Away 15 Green 14 Heart 14 Never 12 Sweet 12
William Allingham Quotes
Comments about William Allingham
- Anecdotalwisdom: historian thomas carlyle told the irish poet william allingham that he was intending to write a life of michelangelo. when allingham expressed interest and enthusiasm, carlyle went on discouragingly, “mind ye, i’ll no’ say much about his art.”
- Poemsandstorie1: robin redbreast by william allingham - lullabies for babies | kindergarten rhymes | toddler songs just clicks the link below to watch this beautiful poem.
- Ron_eisele: born 6 june 1896. henry william allingham, wwi pilot and engineer, last surviving member of the rnas and last surviving raf founding member.
- Ulyssesreader: laurence bloomfield in ireland by william allingham (second edition, green cloth, gilt trefoil design, previous owner's name on recto of flyleaf erased). a handbook of astronomy (cover,