Who is Thomas Bailey AldrichThomas Bailey Aldrich (/ˈɔːldrɪtʃ/; November 11, 1836 – March 19, 1907) was an American writer, poet, critic, and editor. He is notable for his long editorship of The Atlantic Monthly, during which he published works by Charles W. Chesnutt and others. He was also known for his semi-autobiographical book The Story of a Bad Boy, which established the "bad boy's book" subgenre in nineteenth-century American literature, and for his poetry, which included "The Unguarded Gates".
BiographyEarly life and education Thomas Bailey Aldrich was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire on November 11, 1836. When Aldrich was a child, his father moved to New Orleans. After 10 years, Aldrich was sent back to Portsmouth to prepare for college. This period of his lif...
Read Full Biography
Thomas Bailey Aldrich Poems
- Sestet - Sent To A Friend With A Volume Of Tennyson
Wouldst know the clash of knightly steel on steel?
Or list the throstle singing loud and clear?
Or walk at twilight by some haunted mere
In Surrey; or in throbbing London feel ...
Who can say where Echo dwells?
In some mountain-cave, methinks, ...
- Sargent's Portrait Of Edwin Booth At "the Players"
That face which no man ever saw
And from his memory banished quite,
With eyes in which are Hamlet's awe
And Cardinal Richelieu's subtle light, ...
From yonder gilded minaret
Beside the steel-blue Neva set,
I faintly catch, from time to time,
The sweet, aerial midnight chime-- ...
Top 10 most used topics by Thomas Bailey AldrichTime 30 Heart 28 Light 26 White 25 Night 25 Sweet 25 Life 20 World 20 Sea 20 Love 19
Thomas Bailey Aldrich Quotes
- The possession of unlimited power will make a despot of almost any man. There is a possible Nero in the gentlest of human creature that walks.
- To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent - that is to triumph over old age.
- To me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am.
Comments about Thomas Bailey Aldrich
- M3liorist: the fair, frail palaces, the fading alps and archipelagos, and great cloud-continents of sunset-seas. —thomas bailey aldrich (sonnet: miracle)
- Itsmebehind: to keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent – that is to triumph over old age. — thomas bailey aldrich maligayang kaarawan missfranki
- Lifecoachmary: what is lovely never dies, but passes into other loveliness. -thomas bailey aldrich
- Nyplpostcards: garden, thomas bailey aldrich memorial, portsmouth, n. h., 1898
- Fawadfiaz: a man is known by the company his mind keeps. - thomas bailey aldrich