Who is Roger McgoughRoger McGough CBE, FRSL (/məˈɡɒf/; born 9 November 1937) is an English poet, performance poet, broadcaster, children's author and playwright. He presents the BBC Radio 4 programme Poetry Please, as well as performing his own poetry. McGough was one of the leading members of the Liverpool poets, a group of young poets influenced by Beat poetry and the popular music and culture of 1960s Liverpool. He is an honorary fellow of Liverpool John Moores University, fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and President of the Poetry Society.
Early life Roger McGough was born in Litherland, Lancashire on the outskirts of Liverpool. His ancestry is Irish and he was raised in the Roman Catholic faith. He was a pupil at St Mary's College in Crosby with Laurie Taylo...
Read Full Biography
Roger Mcgough Poems
- First Day At School
A millionbillionwillion miles from home
Waiting for the bell to go. (To go where?)
Why are they all so big, other children?
So noisy? So much at home they ...
- The Lesson
Chaos ruled OK in the classroom
as bravely the teacher walked in
the nooligans ignored him
his voice was lost in the din ...
- Mrs Moon
sitting up in the sky
little old lady
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war, ...
- The Identification
So you think its Stephen?
Then I'd best make sure
Be on the safe side as it were.
Ah, theres been a mistake. The hair ...
Top 10 most used topics by Roger McgoughAway 4 Hair 3 Black 2 Teacher 2 Home 2 Children 2 Night 2 Father 2 Short 2 Clean 2
Roger Mcgough Quotes
Comments about Roger Mcgough
- Pershorelibrary: roger mcgough, poet & long running host of poetry please on radio 4, is visiting worcester to talk about his forthcoming collection safety in numbers. see him in person
- Artsrichmonduk: roger mcgough poetry celebration afternoon on you tube if you missed our celebration of the poems shortlisted from the arts richmond’s ‘identity’ poetry competition held earlier this year. please tune into our you tube channel
- Eveshamlib: roger mcgough, poet & long running host of poetry please on radio 4, is visiting worcester to talk about his forthcoming collection safety in numbers. see him in person
- Welfordwrites: first day at school, a poem by roger mcgough. the poet gets inside the mind of a very young child in a brand-new environment. click the link!
- Bromsgrovelib: get your tickets now for roger mcgough the nation's favourite poet. the long running host of poetry please on radio 4, is talking about his forthcoming collection safety in numbers. see him in person