Who is Roger McgoughRoger McGough CBE, FRSL (/məˈɡɒf/; born 9 November 1937) is an English poet, performance poet, broadcaster, children's author and playwright. He presents the BBC Radio 4 programme Poetry Please, as well as performing his own poetry. McGough was one of the leading members of the Liverpool poets, a group of young poets influenced by Beat poetry and the popular music and culture of 1960s Liverpool. He is an honorary fellow of Liverpool John Moores University, fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and President of the Poetry Society.
Early life Roger McGough was born in Litherland, Lancashire on the outskirts of Liverpool. His ancestry is Irish and he was raised in the Roman Catholic faith. He was a pupil at St Mary's College in Crosby with Laurie Taylo...
Read Full Biography
Roger Mcgough Poems
- First Day At School
A millionbillionwillion miles from home
Waiting for the bell to go. (To go where?)
Why are they all so big, other children?
So noisy? So much at home they ...
- The Lesson
Chaos ruled OK in the classroom
as bravely the teacher walked in
the nooligans ignored him
his voice was lost in the din ...
- Mrs Moon
sitting up in the sky
little old lady
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war, ...
- The Identification
So you think its Stephen?
Then I'd best make sure
Be on the safe side as it were.
Ah, theres been a mistake. The hair ...
Top 10 most used topics by Roger McgoughAway 4 Hair 3 Black 2 Teacher 2 Home 2 Children 2 Night 2 Father 2 Short 2 Clean 2
Roger Mcgough Quotes
Comments about Roger Mcgough
- Izabelladora: roger mcgough: salute to the master
- Mohuatree: uk literary journal acumen's 100th anniversary edition and i have been so thrilled to have been in this journal a few times in the company of roger mcgough, brian patten and other dinosaur poets of the original series of penguin modern poets, which i used to carry around campus
- Lysonsrichard: led zeppelin played the free trade hall on this day in 1969. there were two support acts, blodwyn pig and liverpool scene. the latter was fronted by poet, adrian henri who was featured in the penguin modern poets volume, the mersey sound alongside roger mcgough and brian patten.
- Johnmansell1: jim dale recites summer with monika by roger mcgough
- Offthetracksnz: new post at off the tracks: