Who is Roger McgoughRoger McGough CBE, FRSL (/məˈɡɒf/; born 9 November 1937) is an English poet, performance poet, broadcaster, children's author and playwright. He presents the BBC Radio 4 programme Poetry Please, as well as performing his own poetry. McGough was one of the leading members of the Liverpool poets, a group of young poets influenced by Beat poetry and the popular music and culture of 1960s Liverpool. He is an honorary fellow of Liverpool John Moores University, fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and President of the Poetry Society.
Early life Roger McGough was born in Litherland, Lancashire on the outskirts of Liverpool. His ancestry is Irish and he was raised in the Roman Catholic faith. He was a pupil at St Mary's College in Crosby with Laurie Taylo...
Read Full Biography
Roger Mcgough Poems
- First Day At School
A millionbillionwillion miles from home
Waiting for the bell to go. (To go where?)
Why are they all so big, other children?
So noisy? So much at home they ...
- The Lesson
Chaos ruled OK in the classroom
as bravely the teacher walked in
the nooligans ignored him
his voice was lost in the din ...
- Mrs Moon
sitting up in the sky
little old lady
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war, ...
- The Identification
So you think its Stephen?
Then I'd best make sure
Be on the safe side as it were.
Ah, theres been a mistake. The hair ...
Top 10 most used topics by Roger McgoughAway 4 Hair 3 Black 2 Teacher 2 Home 2 Children 2 Night 2 Father 2 Short 2 Clean 2
Roger Mcgough Quotes
Comments about Roger Mcgough
- Lyrafest: then we have roger mcgough: safety in numbers
- Welfordwrites: the identification, a poem by roger mcgough. a father is called to identify the body of his son, but his reaction is not what one might expect. click the link!
- Maple_yr4: maple class performing “the sound collector” by roger mcgough
- Litcharts: new guide! the lesson by roger mcgough
- Welfordwrites: summer with the monarch, a poem by roger mcgough. this is a parody of the “liver poet’s” own poem summer with monika, and could be one reason why he never became poet laureate! click the link!