Who is Robert Southey
Robert SoutheyPortrait, c. 1795Born(1774-08-12)12 August 1774
Bristol, EnglandDied21 March 1843(1843-03-21) (aged 68)
London, EnglandOccupationPoet, historian, biographer, essayistLiterary movementRomanticism
Read Full Biography
Robert Southey Poems
- Inscription Ii. For A Column At Newbury
Art thou a Patriot Traveller? on this field
Did FALKLAND fall the blameless and the brave
Beneath a Tyrant's banners: dost thou boast
Of loyal ardor? HAMBDEN perish'd here, ...
- Devil's Walk On Earth, The
From his brimstone bed at break of day
A walking the Devil is gone,
To look at his snug little farm of the World,
And see how his stock went on. ...
- Eclogue Ii. The Grandmothers Tale
Harry! I'm tired of playing. We'll draw round
The fire, and Grandmamma perhaps will tell us
One of her stories. ...
- The Vision Of The Maid Of Orleans. The First Book
Orleans was hush'd in sleep. Stretch'd on her couch
The delegated Maiden lay: with toil
Exhausted and sore anguish, soon she closed
Her heavy eye-lids; not reposing then, ...
- Eclogue Iv. The Sailor's Mother
Sir for the love of God some small relief
To a poor woman!
Top 10 most used topics by Robert SoutheyLong 76 Heart 73 Cold 63 Love 62 I Love You 62 High 57 Hear 55 Night 54 God 54 Never 54
Robert Southey Quotes
- How little do they see what really is, who frame their hasty judgments upon that which seems.
- If you would be pungent, be brief for it is with words as with sunbeams - the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn.
- If you would be pungent, be brief; for it is with words as with sunbeams - the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn.
- It is not for man to rest in absolute contentment. He is born to hopes and aspirations as the sparks fly upward, unless he has brutified his nature and quenched the spirit of immortality which is his portion.
- It is with words as with sunbeams. The more they are condenced, the deeper they burn.
Comments about Robert Southey
- Rish_eww: the poets samuel taylor coleridge, robert southey, and william wordsworth, who lived in and were inspired by the lake district; they are also known as the lake school.
- Seanofthesouth: 5/ it’s amazing that people don’t realise that it was emmet's impassioned speech from the dock and his role of fallen hero that inspired thomas moore, robert southey, percy shelley and countless balladeers.....
- Rashi_agrawal11: "no distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." — robert southey devir glorious triumphs
- Iamclairefield: cousin's moved to uk now. i thought it'd be southey side...how odd. not sure if robert southey is a relative yet. if he is i'm royalty, if not don't know. more likely not. although, do have dyer...so, you know. maybe i'm a queen, if like 2ooo people didn't exist..haha..
- Arrroberts: robert southey's mother, ladies and gentlemen.
Write your comment about Robert Southey
Tania : It's very helpful for my project work...... Thanks a lot...