Who is Richard Le GallienneRichard Le Gallienne (20 January 1866 – 15 September 1947) was an English author and poet. The British-American actress Eva Le Gallienne (1899–1991) was his daughter, by his second marriage to Danish journalist Julie Nørregaard (1863-1942).
Life and career He was born Richard Thomas Gallienne in Liverpool, England to a middle class family. He attended the (then) all boys public school Liverpool College. After leaving school he changed his name to Le Gallienne and started work in an accountant's office in London. In 1883, his father took him to a lecture by Oscar Wilde in Birkenhead. He soon abandoned this job to become a professional writer with ambitions of being a poet. His book My Ladies' Sonnets appeared in 1887, and in 1889 he became, for a brief ...
Read Full Biography
Richard Le Gallienne Poems
- Young Love I - "surely At Last, O Lady, The Sweet Moon"
N.B. - This sequence of poems has appeared in former editions under the title of 'Love Platonic.'
- Tree-worship - (to John Lane)
Vast and mysterious brother, ere was yet of me
So much as men may poise upon a needle's end,
Still shook with laughter all this monstrous might of thee,
And still with haughty crest it called the morning friend. ...
- Tobacco Next
They took away your drink from you,
The kind old humanizing glass;
Soon they will take tobacco too,
And next they'll take our demi-tasse. ...
- The Loveliest Face And The Wild Rose
The loveliest face! I turned to her
Shut in 'mid savage rocks and trees; -
'Twas in the May-time of the year,
And our two hearts were filled with ease - ...
- The Afternoon Is Lonely For Your Face
The afternoon is lonely for your face,
The pampered morning mocks the day's decline -
I was so rich at noon, the sun was mine,
Mine the sad sea that in that rocky place ...
Top 10 most used topics by Richard Le GallienneSweet 82 Face 76 Long 74 Gold 54 Strange 50 Young 49 Deep 49 Hear 45 Great 41 Morning 39
Richard Le Gallienne Quotes
Comments about Richard Le Gallienne
- Drmommasays: “what would you not pay to see the moon rise if nature had not made it free entertainment?” richard le gallienne
- Bluecrew86: all myths that are something more than fancies gain rather than lose in value with time, by reason of the accretions of human experience. - richard le gallienne
- Artsalamode: born 1/20: painter mark ryden, photog hippolyte bayard, writers richard le gallienne, johannes v. jensen, joy adamson, sawako ariyoshi, jazz drums jeff "tain" watts, jimmy cobb, musicians lead belly (huddie william ledbetter), questlove, directors federico fellini, david lynch.
- Artsalamode: "you can't fake it. bad writing is a gift." "we are all treading the vanishing road of a song in the air, the vanishing road of the spring flowers and the winter snows, the vanishing roads of the winds and the streams, the vanishing road of beloved faces." richard le gallienne
- Book_addict: happy birthday to english writer richard le gallienne (january 20,1866) author of the 1936 memoir "from a paris garret" and many other works.