Who is Rene DescartesRené Descartes ( or UK: ; French: [ʁəne dekaʁt] (listen); Latinized: Renatus Cartesius; 31 March 1596 – 11 February 1650: 58 ) was a French lay Catholic philosopher, scientist, and mathematician, widely considered a seminal figure in the emergence of modern philosophy and science. Mathematics were central to his method of inquiry, and he connected the previously separate fields of geometry and algebra into analytic geometry. Descartes spent much of his working life in the Dutch Republic, initially serving the Dutch States Army, later becoming a central intellectual of the Dutch Golden Age.Many elements of Descartes' philosophy have precedents in late Aristotelianism, the revived Stoicism of the 16th century, or in earlier philosophers like Augustine. In his natural philosophy, h...
Read Full Biography of Rene Descartes
Rene Descartes Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Rene Descartes
Rene Descartes Quotes
- The two operations of our understanding, intuition and deduction, on which alone we have said we must rely in the acquisition of knowledge.
- I am indeed amazed when I consider how weak my mind is and how prone to error.
- I am accustomed to sleep and in my dreams to imagine the same things that lunatics imagine when awake.
- It is not enough to have a good mind the main thing is to use it well.
- The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.
Comments about Rene DescartesJustplainbill1: we do not describe the world we see, we see the world we can describe. rene descartes
Paulenos144000: exodus 3:14 - god replied to moses, “(i am) who (i am). this is what you are to say to the israelites: (i am) has sent me to you.” i am three times / the dog food iams rene descartes "i think therefore i am" mark 9:18 foam / (foe)am
Ufob0t: "but in my opinion, all things in nature occur mathematically." ~ rene descartes
Calmyourmindnow: "if you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things" -rené descartes
Dreamredo: one person, just like rene girard described 2) what discovering of cannibals in xviith century led to was the beginning of skepticism, doubt in established truths. descartes wrote his work in order to fight this skepticism. the author of the book writes about that.
Read All Comments