Who is Rainer Maria RilkeRené Karl Wilhelm Johann Josef Maria Rilke (4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926), better known as Rainer Maria Rilke (German: [ˈʁaɪnɐ maˈʁiːa ˈʁɪlkə]), was a Bohemian-Austrian poet and novelist. He is "widely recognized as one of the most lyrically intense German-language poets". He wrote both verse and highly lyrical prose. Several critics have described Rilke's work as inherently "mystical". His writings include one novel, several collections of poetry and several volumes of correspondence in which he invokes haunting images that focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude and profound anxiety. These deeply existential themes tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist...
Read Full Biography
Rainer Maria Rilke Poems
- Solemn Hour
Whoever now weeps somewhere in the world,
weeps without reason in the world,
weeps over me.
- To Lou Andreas-salome
I held myself too open, I forgot
that outside not just things exist and animals
fully at ease in themselves, whose eyes
reach from their lives' roundedness no differently ...
- Duino Elegies: The First Elegy
Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels'
hierarchies? and even if one of them suddenly
pressed me against his heart, I would perish
in the embrace of his stronger existence. ...
- Duino Elegies: The Fourth Elegy
O trees of life, oh, what when winter comes?
We are not of one mind. Are not like birds
in unison migrating. And overtaken,
overdue, we thrust ourselves into the wind ...
- Duino Elegies: The Tenth Elegy
That some day, emerging at last from the terrifying vision
I may burst into jubilant praise to assenting angels!
That of the clear-struck keys of the heart not one may fail
to sound because of a loose, doubtful or broken string! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Rainer Maria RilkeLife 33 Heart 30 Love 27 I Love You 27 Long 25 Night 23 Time 22 Face 21 World 20 Never 20
Rainer Maria Rilke Quotes
- Do not assume that she who seeks to comfort you now, lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. Her life may also have much sadness and difficulty, that remains far beyond yours. Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words.
- Live the questions.
- Do continue to believe that with your feeling and your work you are taking part in the greatest the more strongly you cultivate this belief, the more will reality and the world go forth from it.
- For one human being to love another human being That is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task
- This is the miracle that happens every time to those who really love; the more they give, the more they possess.
Comments about Rainer Maria Rilke
- Mulder_pieter: ernst krenek - Ô lacrimosa for soprano, two flutes, two clarinets, two bassoons and harp, op. 48 (1926) i. andantino con grazio ii. andante con moto iii. allegro laura claycomb, soprano rno chamber ensemble vladislav lavrik text by rainer maria rilke
- Sarangetannaz: the mystical austrian poet rainer maria rilke once wrote that the “future enters into us in order to transform itself in us, long before it happens.” as much as elegant computer code for machines, existential poetry can illuminate and instruct us.
- Hazel2mo: “may what i do flow from me like a river, no forcing and no holding back, the way it is with children.” ― rainer maria rilke
- Quotes08328266: 19 | 191113 | rainer maria rilke quotes poster
- Zeeshanjaanam: "all my life i have given myself away in poems—to all." —marina tsvetaeva in a 1926 letter to rainer maria rilke