Who is Rainer Maria RilkeRené Karl Wilhelm Johann Josef Maria Rilke (4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926), better known as Rainer Maria Rilke (German: [ˈʁaɪnɐ maˈʁiːa ˈʁɪlkə]), was an Austrian poet and novelist. He is "widely recognized as one of the most lyrically intense German-language poets". He wrote both verse and highly lyrical prose. Several critics have described Rilke's work as "mystical". His writings include one novel, several collections of poetry and several volumes of correspondence in which he invokes images that focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude and anxiety. These themes position him as a transitional figure between traditional and modernist writers.
Read Full Biography of Rainer Maria Rilke
Rainer Maria Rilke Poems
- Solemn Hour
Whoever now weeps somewhere in the world,
weeps without reason in the world,
weeps over me.
- To Lou Andreas-salome
I held myself too open, I forgot
that outside not just things exist and animals
fully at ease in themselves, whose eyes
reach from their lives' roundedness no differently ...
- Duino Elegies: The First Elegy
Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels'
hierarchies? and even if one of them suddenly
pressed me against his heart, I would perish
in the embrace of his stronger existence. ...
- Duino Elegies: The Fourth Elegy
O trees of life, oh, what when winter comes?
We are not of one mind. Are not like birds
in unison migrating. And overtaken,
overdue, we thrust ourselves into the wind ...
- Duino Elegies: The Tenth Elegy
That some day, emerging at last from the terrifying vision
I may burst into jubilant praise to assenting angels!
That of the clear-struck keys of the heart not one may fail
to sound because of a loose, doubtful or broken string! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Rainer Maria RilkeLife 33 Heart 30 Love 27 I Love You 27 Long 25 Night 23 Time 22 Face 21 World 20 Never 20
Rainer Maria Rilke Quotes
- Do not assume that she who seeks to comfort you now, lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. Her life may also have much sadness and difficulty, that remains far beyond yours. Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words.
- Live the questions.
- Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it , you will live along some distant day into your answers.
- Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it, you will live along some distant day into your answers.
- Do continue to believe that with your feeling and your work you are taking part in the greatest the more strongly you cultivate this belief, the more will reality and the world go forth from it.
Comments about Rainer Maria RilkeFtalia88: you must change your life: the story of rainer maria rilke and auguste rodin lwlighk
Thecosmos: i am learning to see. i don’t know why it is, but everything enters me more deeply and doesn’t stop where it once used to. — rainer maria rilke ° moody darkroom
Kipr2935: now we wake up with our memoryand fix our gazes on that which was;whispering sweetness, which once coursed through us,sits silently beside us with loosened hair,rainer maria rilke, uncollected poems,love, memory,
Aldri70205: fame is finally only the sum total of all the misunderstanding that can gather around a new name.,rainer maria rilke,fame, misunderstanding,
Kipro3069: love consists of this: two solitudes that meet, protect and greet each other. ,rainer maria rilke,poetry,
Read All Comments