Who is Oliver Wendell Holmes...
Read Full Biography of Oliver Wendell Holmes
Oliver Wendell Holmes Poems
- Thus Saith The Lord, I Offer Thee Three Things
In poisonous dens, where traitors hide
Like bats that fear the day,
While all the land our charters claim
Is sweating blood and breathing flame, ...
- J. D. R
The friends that are, and friends that were,
What shallow waves divide!
I miss the form for many a year
Still seated at my side. ...
- At The Summit
Sister, we bid you welcome, - we who stand
On the high table-land;
We who have climbed life's slippery Alpine slope,
And rest, still leaning on the staff of hope, ...
- Humboldt's Birthday
Ere yet the warning chimes of midnight sound,
Set back the flaming index of the year,
Track the swift-shifting seasons in their round
Through fivescore circles of the swinging sphere! ...
- Hymn At The Funeral Services Of Charles Sumner, April 29, 1874
Once more, ye sacred towers,
Your solemn dirges sound;
Strew, loving hands, the April flowers,
Once more to deck his mound. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Oliver Wendell HolmesLong 187 Love 137 I Love You 137 Earth 133 Sweet 130 Hear 127 White 122 Bright 121 Life 120 Morning 117
Oliver Wendell Holmes Quotes
- Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
- Death tugs at my ear and says: "Live, I am coming."
- Taxes are the price we pay for civilization.
- Beware how you take away hope from another human being.
- Greatness is not in were we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind, and somtimes agaisnt it - but sail we must. And not drift, nor lie at anchor.
Comments about Oliver Wendell HolmesHassn1020657: all limitations are self-imposed. – oliver wendell holmes
Sociotrip: “a mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – oliver wendell holmes
Realankurchawla: “what lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” -oliver wendell holmes
Suelimen_: "the prophecies of what the court will do in fact, and nothing more pretentious, are what i mean by the law." ~ oliver wendell holmes jnr. ~ it makes more sense now as i remember the days of jurisprudence! we simply watch while we wait.
Harry_ramsay: there's a beautiful quote i've loved for a long time, supposedly attributed to oliver wendell holmes jr, which goes something like: "i would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but i would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity."
Read All Comments
Write your comment about Oliver Wendell Holmes
Richard C Martin: Just great and read just because.