Who is Morris RosenfeldMorris Rosenfeld (Moshe Jacob Alter) (December 28, 1862 in Stare Boksze in Russian Poland, government of Suwałki – June 22, 1923 in New York City) was a Yiddish poet.
His work sheds light on the living circumstances of emigrants from Eastern Europe in New York's tailoring workshops.
He was educated at Boksha, Suwałki, and Warsaw. He worked as a tailor in New York and London and as a diamond cutter in Amsterdam, and settled in New York in 1886, after which he was connected with the editorial staffs of several leading Jewish newspapers. In 1904 he published a weekly entitled Der Ashmedai. In 1905 he was editor of the New Yorker Morgenblatt. He was also the publisher and editor of a quarterly journal of literature (printed in Yiddish) entitled Jewish Annals. ...
Read Full Biography
Morris Rosenfeld Poems
- I've Often Laughed
I've often laughed and oftener still have wept,
A sighing always through my laughter crept,
Tears were not far away...
What is there to say? ...
(To a Young Girl)
Say whither, whither, pretty one?...
- What Is The World?
Well, say you the world is a chamber of sleep,
And life but a sleeping and dreaming?
Then I too would dream: and would joyously reap
The blooms of harmonious seeming;...
- Want And I
Who's there? who's there? who was it tried
To force the entrance I've denied?
An 'twere a friend, I'd gladly borne it,
But no-'twas Want! I could have sworn it....
- To The Fortune Seeker
A little more, a little less!-
O shadow-hunters pitiless,
Why then so eager, say!
What'er you leave the grave will take,...
Top 10 most used topics by Morris RosenfeldHeart 16 Life 16 Soul 14 God 12 Pain 11 Sweet 11 World 11 Time 11 Long 10 Wild 10
Morris Rosenfeld Quotes
Comments about Morris Rosenfeld
- Mariacastro1111: morris rosenfeld. 1914.
- Hinterlandwitch: oh to be a cat sitting in her bed listening to your parent sing (english translation) ‘mayn rue-platz’ by morris rosenfeld, another yiddish sweatshop poet, as you fall asleep. again, sung poorly. don’t make me tap the sign again.
- Mariatontini1: rod stewart - sailing (official video)
- Stockshaman: flying spinnakers, 1938, by morris rosenfeld
- Andrewbater: flying spinnakers (1938) - ozone fresh, can almost taste the salty air in this iconic image from morris rosenfeld. a staggering control of light and shade.