Who is Michel De MontaigneMichel Eyquem, Sieur de Montaigne ( mon-TAYN; French: [miʃɛl ekɛm də mɔ̃tɛɲ]; 28 February 1533 – 13 September 1592), also known as the Lord of Montaigne, was one of the most significant philosophers of the French Renaissance. He is known for popularizing the essay as a literary genre. His work is noted for its merging of casual anecdotes and autobiography with intellectual insight. Montaigne had a direct influence on numerous Western writers; his massive volume Essais contains some of the most influential essays ever written.
During his lifetime, Montaigne was admired more as a statesman than as an author. The tendency in his essays to digress into anecdotes and personal ruminations was seen as detrimental to proper style rather than as an innovation, and his declaration...
Read Full Biography of Michel De Montaigne
Michel De Montaigne Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Michel De Montaigne
Michel De Montaigne Quotes
- Age imprints more wrinkles in the mind than it does on the face.
- There is no pleasure to me without communication: there is not so much as a sprightly thought comes into my mind that it does not grieve me to have produced alone, and that I have no one to tell it to.
- My trade and art is to live.
- Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity.
- Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.
Comments about Michel De MontaigneIherb85code87: “the greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” ― michel de montaigne .sep 2022 iherb
Infinity_rxg: “he who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.” — michel de montaigne ralphgail st20nger together
Joekaniu: “every other knowledge is harmful to him who does not have knowledge of goodness.” – michel de montaigne, essais
Thesecretwork: michel de montaigne, french writer and philosopher
_ayyumii: stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity. -michel de montaigne ralphgail st20nger together
Read All Comments