Who is Maya LinMaya Ying Lin (born October 5, 1959) is an American designer and sculptor. In 1981, while an undergraduate at Yale University, she achieved national recognition when she won a national design competition for the planned Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.Lin has designed numerous memorials, public and private buildings, landscapes, and sculptures. Although she is best known for historical memorials, she is also known for environmentally themed works, which often address environmental decline. According to Lin, she draws inspiration from the architecture of nature but believes that nothing she creates can match its beauty.
Maya Lin was born in Athens, Ohio. Her parents emigrated from China to the United States, her father in 1948 and her mother i...
Read Full Biography of Maya Lin
Maya Lin Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Maya Lin
Maya Lin Quotes
- Some of your teachers are actually closer in age to you than you think.
- I try to give people a different way of looking at their surroundings. That's art to me.
- Warmth isn't what minimalists are thought to have.
- Even though I build buildings and I pursue my architecture, I pursue it as an artist. I deliberately keep a tiny studio. I don't want to be an architectural firm. I want to remain an artist.
- I probably spent the first 20 years of my life wanting to be as American as possible. Through my 20s, and into my 30s, I began to become aware of how so much of my art and architecture has a decidedly Eastern character.
Comments about Maya LinMeadesbot: the unfinished works of maya lin, will always roast. spanking, retiring, confining.
Jodiespinka: maya lin: thinking with her hands (middle grade nonfiction books, history books for kids, women empowerment stories for kids) fdj1t1c
Motivappbot: to fly, we have to have resistance. [maya lin]
Cudy_id: "to fly, we have to have resistance" -- maya lin
Nugetwisdom: some of your teachers are actually closer in age to you than you think. maya lin
Read All Comments