Who is Marge PiercyMarge Piercy (born March 31, 1936) is an American poet, novelist, and social activist. Her work includes Woman on the Edge of Time; He, She and It, which won the 1993 Arthur C. Clarke Award; and Gone to Soldiers, a New York Times Best Seller and sweeping historical novel set during World War II.
Life Piercy was born in Detroit, Michigan, to Bert (Bunnin) Piercy and Robert Piercy. Upon graduation from Mackenzie High School, Marge became the first in her family to attend college, studying at the University of Michigan. Winning a Hopwood Award for Poetry and Fiction (1957) enabled her to finish college and spend some time in France. She earned a M.A. from Northwestern University. Her first book of poems, Breaking Camp, was published in 1968.
Read Full Biography
Marge Piercy Poems
- Traveling Dream
I am packing to go to the airport
but somehow I am never packed.
I keep remembering more things
I keep forgetting. ...
- To Be Of Use
The people I love the best
jump into work head first
without dallying in the shallows
and swim off with sure strokes almost out of sight. ...
- To The Pay Toilet
You strop my anger, especially
when I find you in restaurant or bar
and pay for the same liquid, coming and going.
In bus depots and airports and turnpike plazas ...
- Colors Passing Through Us
Purple as tulips in May, mauve
into lush velvet, purple
as the stain blackberries leave
on the lips, on the hands, ...
- The Neighbor
Man stomping over my bed in boots
carrying a large bronze church bell
which you occasionally drop:
gross man with iron heels ...
Top 10 most used topics by Marge PiercyCat 7 Love 7 Never 7 I Love You 7 Warm 5 Green 5 Good 5 Work 5 Fire 5 Black 5
Marge Piercy Quotes
- Long hair is considered bohemian, which may be why I grew it, but I keep it long because I love the way it feels, part cloak, part fan, part mane, part security blanket.
Comments about Marge Piercy
- Livesimpleread: the seven of pentacles by marge piercy:
- Livesimpleread: heard this poem read this morning. gorgeous! the seven of pentacles by marge piercy:
- Jeanettejoy: “a strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done.” - marge piercy
- Tattooedbuddhas: 5 of 5 stars to gone to soldiers by marge piercy
- Blucollarprof: finding specific - this month's newsletter is packed with wisdom from rebecca solnit, martin shaw, marge piercy and jacob montague. you can link to it here: