Who is Louis MacneiceFrederick Louis MacNeice CBE (12 September 1907 – 3 September 1963) was a British poet and playwright from Northern Ireland, and a member of the Auden Group, which also included W. H. Auden, Stephen Spender and Cecil Day-Lewis. MacNeice's body of work was widely appreciated by the public during his lifetime, due in part to his relaxed but socially and emotionally aware style. Never as overtly or simplistically political as some of his contemporaries, he expressed a humane opposition to totalitarianism as well as an acute awareness of his roots.
Read Full Biography
Louis Macneice Poems
- Sunday Morning
Down the road someone is practising scales,
The notes like little fishes vanish with a wink of tails,
Man's heart expands to tinker with his car
For this is Sunday morning, Fate's great bazaar; ...
It all began so easy
With bricks upon the floor
Building motley houses
And knocking down your houses ...
- The Sunlight On The Garden
The sunlight on the garden
Hardens and grows cold,
We cannot cage the minute
Within its nets of gold; ...
- June Thunder
The Junes were free and full, driving through tiny
Roads, the mudguards brushing the cowparsley,
Through fields of mustard and under boldly embattled
Mays and chestnuts ...
I was born in Belfast between the mountain and the gantries
To the hooting of lost sirens and the clang of trams:
Thence to Smoky Carrick in County Antrim
Where the bottle-neck harbour collects the mud which jams ...
Top 10 most used topics by Louis MacneiceSea 4 Yellow 4 Suddenly 4 Sky 4 Church 3 Garden 3 Away 3 Never 3 World 3 Room 3
Louis Macneice Quotes
Comments about Louis Macneice
- Andrewtroycroft: “yeats did not write primarily in order to influence men’s actions, but he knew that art can alter a man’s outlook and so indirectly affect his action.” -louis macneice on wb yeats
- Alexconnorwrite: “september has come, it is hers whose vitality leaps in the autumn, whose nature prefers trees without leaves and a fire in the fireplace." words - louis macneice painting - john everett millais
- Cornishnye: sunlight on the garden – louis macneice – analysis
- Seventydys: there will be sunlight later louis macneice, from autumn journal
- Dappled_days: and while a man has voice he may recover music. louis macneice: autumn journal (1939)