Who is John KebleJohn Keble (/ˈkiːbəl/; 25 April 1792 – 29 March 1866) was an English churchman and poet, one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement. Keble College, Oxford, was named after him.
Early life Keble was born on 25 April 1792 in Fairford, Gloucestershire, where his father, John Keble, was Vicar of Coln St. Aldwyns. He and his brother Thomas were educated at home by their father until each went to Oxford. In 1806 John won a scholarship to Corpus Christi College, Oxford. There, he performed brilliantly, and in 1810 achieved a Double First Class in Latin and Mathematics. In 1811, he won the University Prizes both for the English and Latin Essays and became a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. He was for some years a tutor and examiner in the University.
Read Full Biography
John Keble Poems
- Fifth Sunday After Easter - Rogation Sunday
Now is there solemn pause in earth and heaven;
The Conqueror now
His bonds hath riven,
And Angels wonder why He stays below: ...
- All Saint's Day
Why blow'st thou not, thou wintry wind,
Now every leaf is brown and sere,
And idly droops, to thee resigned,
The fading chaplet of the year? ...
- St. Andrew's Day
When brothers part for manhood's race,
What gift may most endearing prove
To keep fond memory its her place,
And certify a brother's love? ...
Red oâ??er the forest peers the setting sun;
The line of yellow light dies fast away
That crownâ??d the eastern copse; and chill and dun
Falls on the moor the brief November day. ...
- St. John Baptist's Day
Twice in her season of decay
The fallen Church hath felt Elijah's eye
Dart from the wild its piercing ray:
Not keener burns, in the chill morning sky, ...
Top 10 most used topics by John KebleLove 104 I Love You 104 Heart 102 Heaven 98 Earth 80 God 79 Light 76 World 71 High 67 Bright 65
John Keble Quotes
Comments about John Keble
- Carylloper: peace is the first thing the angels sang ~ john keble
- Breathinglondon: i can sense the pollution building up near brent - john keble primary school (pollution low : 2)
- Breathinglondon: starting to feel it's bad near brent - john keble primary school (pollution low : 2)
- Breathinglondon: not detecting much pollution near brent - john keble primary school (pollution low : 1)
- Brentmusicserv: launching the bms steelband! starts 3rd nov. at john keble school, harlesden. sessions for beginners to advanced players - perform at wembley area! be a founding member of the bms steelband!