Who is John Greenleaf Whittier...
Read Full Biography
John Greenleaf Whittier Poems
- To ----
Lines written after a summer day's excursion.
Fair Nature's priestesses! to whom, ...
- To ------
With a copy of Woolman's journal.
- Toussaint L'ouverture
'T was night. The tranquil moonlight smile
With which Heaven dreams of Earth, shed down
Its beauty on the Indian isle,
On broad green field and white-walled town; ...
- To James T. Fields
On a blank leaf of "poems printed, not published.
Well thought! who would not rather hear ...
- The World's Convention Of The Friends Of Emancipation, Held In London In 1840
Yes, let them gather! Summon forth
The pledged philanthropy of Earth.
From every land, whose hills have heard
The bugle blast of Freedom waking; ...
Top 10 most used topics by John Greenleaf WhittierGod 303 Love 264 I Love You 264 Life 260 Heart 247 Light 242 Long 225 Time 211 Good 200 Sweet 199
John Greenleaf Whittier Quotes
- No longer forward nor behindI look in hope or fearBut, grateful, take the good I findThe best of now and here.
- For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, "It might have been!"
- In any man who dies there dies with him, his first snow and kiss and fight... Not people die but worlds die in them.
- Of all sad words of tongue and pen the saddest are these, what might have been.
- The saddest thing of word or pen, To know the things that might have been.
Comments about John Greenleaf Whittier
- Dennise_guillen: "for all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'it might have been'". (john greenleaf whittier)
- Chikuwa100q_bot: 99. you don't always win/ your battles, but it's good to know you fought. [john greenleaf whittier]
- Alirazaabbass: "peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew." ~ john greenleaf whittier
- Quot3bot: "peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew." ~ john greenleaf whittier
- Corderokarla_: [en] "he who sows a field, grows a flower or plants a tree, is superior to others." | john greenleaf whittier