Who is Jean ValentineFor the World War II bombe operator at Bletchley Park, see Jean Valentine (bombe operator). Jean Valentine (born April 27, 1934) is an American poet and was the New York State Poet Laureate from 2008–2010. Her poetry collection, Door in the Mountain: New and Collected Poems, 1965–2003, was awarded the 2004 National Book Award for Poetry.
Her most recent book, Shirt In Heaven, was published in 2015 by Copper Canyon Press. Before that, Break the Glass (Copper Canyon Press, 2010) was a finalist for the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. Her first book, Dream Barker, won the Yale Series of Younger Poets competition in 1965. She has published poems widely in literary journals and magazines...
Read Full Biography
Jean Valentine Poems
- I Have Lived In Your Face
I have lived in your face.
Have I been you?
giving you birth â?? ...
- Dream Barker
We met for supper in your flat-bottomed boat.
I got there first: in a white dress: I remember
Wondering if you'd come. Then you shot over the bank,
A Virgilian Nigger Jim, and poled us off ...
- Elegy For Jane Kenyon (2)
Jane is big
with death, Don
sad and kind - Jane
though she's dying ...
- La Chalupa, The Boat
I am twenty,
drifting in la chalupa,
the blue boat painted with roses,
white liliesâ?? ...
- Ghost Elephants
In the elephant field tall green ghost elephants
with your cargo of summer leaves
at night I heard you breathing
at the window Don't you ever ...
Top 10 most used topics by Jean ValentineFriend 4 Away 3 Life 3 Red 3 Water 3 Year 3 Blue 3 Beauty 2 Breath 2 Dream 2
Jean Valentine Quotes
Comments about Jean Valentine
- Chenchenwrites: i know i've shared this jean valentine poem before & i know a bunch of you know it already. but. it is worth sharing every time
- Papayabug: yesterday the hostess at donna jean complimented my fit and was like u were here on valentine’s day too right??? i remember ur dress from then … u always look so cute!!! and like 100000/10 experience
- Chenchenwrites: to my soul (2) will i miss you uncanny other in the next life? and you & i, my other, leave the body, not leave the earth? and you, a child in a field, and i, a child on a train, go by, go by, and what we had give way like coffee grains brushed across paper... jean valentine
- Social_groove: norman connors feat. jean carne & michael henderson - valentine love
Write your comment about Jean Valentine
Joan Sidney: Jean was a great poet, an incredibly caring human being, and a wonderful teacher. Her passing is a great loss to all of us. I met her in 2012 at the Artist’s Colony.