Who is Jean Cocteau
French literary historyMedievalRenaissance17th18th19th20th centuryContemporary
French writersChronological listWriters by categoryEssayistsNovelistsPlaywrightsPoetsShort story writersChildren's writers
PortalsFranceFrench languageLiteratureFrench/Francophone literature
Read Full Biography
Jean Cocteau Poems
- Preamble (a Rough Draft For An Ars Poetica)
Let's get our dreams unstuck
The grain of rye
free from the prattle of grass...
Top 10 most used topics by Jean CocteauWork 1 Position 1 Huge 1 Listen 1 Eternal 1 Place 1 Deep 1 White 1 Sweet 1 Grass 1
Jean Cocteau Quotes
- Art is science made clear.
- Art produces ugly things which frequently become more beautiful with time. Fashion, on the other hand, produces beautiful things which always become ugly with time.
- I know that poetry is indispensable, but to what I could not say.
- Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images.
- Nothing ever gets anywhere. The earth keeps turning round and round and gets nowhere. The moment is the only thing that counts.
Comments about Jean Cocteau
- Yhayaux: there are truths which one can only say after having won the right to say them (jean cocteau)
- Brammeehan: i’ve gotten a preview of the new shop(s) space, just across the street in guadalupe station, almost exactly opposite the jean cocteau — this is going to be the start of an amazing new phase for big adventure.
- Firewalkwithhim: the blood of poet - 1932 jean cocteau
- Edwereddie: bown, jane (uk 1925-2014) - jean cocteau (1889-1963) avec karoun jane hope bown was an english photographer who worked for the observer newspaper from 1949
- Brendengallager: this afternoon’s film was jean cocteau’s “orpheus,” in which two grim reapers get horny for a husband and wife and challenge the laws of heaven and earth. also, it is a metaphor for the french resistance. it rocks. (hbomax / criterion)