Who is James Russell LowellJames Russell Lowell (; February 22, 1819 – August 12, 1891) was an American Romantic poet, critic, editor, and diplomat. He is associated with the fireside poets, a group of New England writers who were among the first American poets that rivaled the popularity of British poets. These writers usually used conventional forms and meters in their poetry, making them suitable for families entertaining at their fireside.
Lowell graduated from Harvard College in 1838, despite his reputation as a troublemaker, and went on to earn a law degree from Harvard Law School. He published his first collection of poetry in 1841 and married Maria White in 1844. The couple had several children, though only one survived past childhood.
He became involved in the movement to abolish slavery...
Read Full Biography of James Russell Lowell
James Russell Lowell Poems
- Courtin', The
God makes sech nights, all white an' still
Fur 'z you can look or listen,
Moonshine an' snow on field an' hill,
All silence an' all glisten. ...
- Abraham Lincoln, From The Ode Recited At The Harvard Commemoration
Life may be given in many ways,
And loyalty to Truth be sealed
As bravely in the closet as the field,
So bountiful is Fate;...
Top 10 most used topics by James Russell LowellHuman 2 Field 2 Clear 2 Mind 2 Hero 1 People 1 Passion 1 Never 1 Nature 1 Lost 1
James Russell Lowell Quotes
- Folks never understand the folks they hate.
- There is no good arguing with the inevitible. The only argument available with an east wind is to put on your overcoat.
- There is no good in arguing with the inevitable. The only argument available with an east wind is to put on your overcoat.
- Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle.
- It is not the insurrections of ignorance that are dangerous, but the revolts of the intelligence.
Comments about James Russell LowellNyplpostcards: james russell lowell, portrait, 1902
Kbiritwum: “no one can produce great things who is not thoroughly sincere in dealing with himself.” james russell lowell
Lifecoachmary: no man (or woman) can produce great things who is not thoroughly sincere in dealing with himself (or herself). -james russell lowell
Rome_colt45: for those who don't know. the united states is not a democracy. we are a constitutional republic. "democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor." - james russell lowell
Wisdomexplained: books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind. james russell lowell
Read All Comments