Who is Jack KerouacJack Kerouac (/ˈkɛruæk/; born Jean-Louis Kérouac (though he called himself Jean-Louis Lebris de Kérouac); March 12, 1922 – October 21, 1969) was an American novelist and poet of French-Canadian descent.
He is considered a literary iconoclast and, alongside William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg, a pioneer of the Beat Generation. Kerouac is recognized for his method of spontaneous prose. Thematically, his work covers topics such as Catholic spirituality, jazz, promiscuity, Buddhism, drugs, poverty, and travel. He became an underground celebrity and, with other beats, a progenitor of the hippie movement, although he remained antagonistic toward some of its politically radical elements.
In 1969, at age 47, Kerouac died from an abdominal hemorrhage caused ...
Read Full Biography
Jack Kerouac Poems
- One Flower
on the cliffside
Nodding at the canyon
- On Tears
Tears is the break of my brow,
The moony tempestuous
Sitting downIn dark railyards
When to see my motherâ??s face ...
- Bus East
Society has good intentions Bureaucracy is like a friend
5 years ago - other furies other losses -
- Daydreams For Ginsberg
I lie on my back at midnight
hearing the marvelous strange chime
of the clocks, and know it's mid-
night and in that instant the whole ...
- How To Meditate
fall, hands a-clasped, into instantaneous
ecstasy like a shot of heroin or morphine,
the gland inside of my brain discharging ...
Top 10 most used topics by Jack KerouacCity 7 Good 5 Haiku 4 Time 4 Heaven 4 Life 4 Rain 4 Mind 4 Brown 3 Love 3
Jack Kerouac Quotes
- The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.
- I suddenly discovered the delight of rebellion.
- Man lowers his head and lunges into civilization, forgetting the days of his infancy when he sought truth in a snowflake or a stick. Man forgets the wisdom of the child.
- The fact was I had the vision... I think everyone has... what we lack is the method.
- The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.
Comments about Jack Kerouac
- Missodaniela: sunbeams on my pothos ... sipping juice daniela misso haiku pea podcast s5e10: writing haikus like jack kerouac
- Gregsamothrakis: and the hippos were boiled in their tanks (by jack kerouac and william s. burroughs, 1945, published 2008)
- Laflfeurjames: ancient egypt pharaoh rap staring jack kerouac
- Amzlst: jack kerouac print, add personalised quote, archival quality inks, available in a range of sizes and colours
- Thisisjose: i realized that i’m always mixing up jack kerouac and hunter s. thompson but it doesn’t matter because they’re both just quirked up white boys