Who is Harriet MonroeHarriet Monroe (December 23, 1860 – September 26, 1936) was an American editor, scholar, literary critic, poet, and patron of the arts. She is best known as the founding publisher and long-time editor of Poetry magazine, first published in 1912. As a supporter of the poets Wallace Stevens, Ezra Pound, H. D., T. S. Eliot, William Carlos Williams, Carl Sandburg, Max Michelson and others, Monroe played an important role in the development of modern poetry. Her correspondence with early twentieth century poets provides a wealth of information on their thoughts and motives.
Read Full Biography
Harriet Monroe Poems
- April -- North Carolina
Would you not be in Tryon
Now that the spring is here,
When mocking-birds are praising
The fresh, the blossomy year? ...
- The Message Of The Wind
The wind comes riding down from heaven.
Ho! wind of heaven, what do you bring?
Cool for the dawn, dew for the even,
And every sweetest thing. ...
- In The Beginning
WHEN sunshine met the wave,
Then love was born;
Then Venus rose to save
A world forlorn....
- A Farewell
GOOD-BY: nay, do not grieve that it is over-
The perfect hour;
That the winged joy, sweet honey-loving rover,
Flits from the flower....
- A Letter To One Far Away
The sky is gray,
With flecks of blue
The clouds rush over. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Harriet MonroeWorld 37 White 32 Night 31 Blue 29 Sun 29 Away 28 I Love You 27 Love 27 Earth 26 Long 26
Harriet Monroe Quotes
Comments about Harriet Monroe
- Drrclantro: so much for harriet tubman on the twenty i guess let’s instead put the philanderer who had marilyn monroe killed and got us into vietnam
- Doe_fam_56: what if steph curry had been aborted? mother theresa? michael jordan? marilyn monroe? abraham lincoln? jane austen? jackie robinson? harriet tubman? john lennon? ann frank? martin luther king jr? julia childs? john f kennedy? john legend? liberace? raquel welch? scott hamilton?
- Kimkardashian: met gala — in america: an anthology of fashion i am so honored to be wearing the iconic dress that marilyn monroe wore in 1962 to sing “happy birthday” to president john f. kennedy. it is a stunning skintight gown adorned with more than 6,000 hand-sewn crystals by jean louis.
- Marketmoudra: by curving petals held entire in a cup of ceremonial fire, magnificence within a frame founded by harriet monroe
- Feinsod: “it’s called poetry you cowards” —hart crane to harriet monroe