Who is George SaundersGeorge Saunders (born December 2, 1958) is an American writer of short stories, essays, novellas, children's books, and novels. His writing has appeared in The New Yorker, Harper's, McSweeney's, and GQ. He also contributed a weekly column, American Psyche, to the weekend magazine of The Guardian between 2006 and 2008.A professor at Syracuse University, Saunders won the National Magazine Award for fiction in 1994, 1996, 2000, and 2004, and second prize in the O. Henry Awards in 1997. His first story collection, CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, was a finalist for the 1996 PEN/Hemingway Award. In 2006 Saunders received a MacArthur Fellowship. In 2006 he won the World Fantasy Award for his short story "CommComm".His story collection In Persuasion Nation was a finalist for the Story Prize in 2007. ...
Read Full Biography of George Saunders
George Saunders Poems
Top 10 most used topics by George Saunders
George Saunders Quotes
- We try, we fail, we posture, we aspire, we pontificate - and then we age, shrink, die, and vanish.
- My habit would have been to veer towards the dark - to prove I was something edgy, or maybe to prove that I was cognisant of the dark side. Now, with age and confidence, I can say, yeah, that's true, but I am cognisant of the fact that people can do things well. And can be more loving than you expect.
- I still believe that capitalism is too harsh and I believe that, even within that, there is a lot of satisfaction and beauty if you happen to be one of the lucky ones, although that doesn't eradicate the reality of the suffering. It's all true at once, kind of humming and sublime.
- I tend to foster drama via bleakness. If I want the reader to feel sympathy for a character, I cleave the character in half, on his birthday. And then it starts raining. And he's made of sugar.
- I'm finding, as I get older, that I'm not much of a believer in redemption. I mean, I believe in redemption in real life - redemption does happen, and it's cool when it does - but I find myself getting leery of my desire for it in stories (especially my own).
Comments about George SaundersBarrera_lavonda: like-new first editions (and some non-first) hardback editions of civilwarland in bad decline by george saunders are currently available for sale. where can i find more information about these books? hello, book lovers of r/bookcollecting!
Julia_azari: my tenured angst is, of course, not the point of this piece
Suegreenbergpr: george saunders! can act. who knew.
Luriethereal: an italian fine dining concept dish — “linguine in the brodo” — where the voice of george saunders slowly fades from the bowl as you consume it.
Esme_rylan: i'm now at a different b&n from where i usually go, and rather than try to find a copy of gilgamesh here i'm reading george saunders' a swim in a pond in the rain, which i somehow hadn't read before now.
Read All Comments