Who is George HerbertGeorge Herbert (3 April 1593 – 1 March 1633) was a Welsh-born poet, orator, and priest of the Church of England. His poetry is associated with the writings of the metaphysical poets, and he is recognised as "one of the foremost British devotional lyricists." He was born into an artistic and wealthy family and largely raised in England. He received a good education that led to his admission to Trinity College, Cambridge in 1609. He went there with the intention of becoming a priest, but he became the University's Public Orator and attracted the attention of King James I. He served in the Parliament of England in 1624 and briefly in 1625.
After the death of King James, Herbert renewed his interest in ordination. He gave up his secular ambitions in his mid-thirties and ...
Read Full Biography
George Herbert Poems
- Prayer (i)
Prayer the Church's banquet, angels' age,
God's breath in man returning to his birth,
The soul in paraphrase, heart in pilgrimage,
The Christian plummet sounding heav'n and earth; ...
- H. Baptism Ii
Since, Lord, to thee
A narrow way and little gate
Is all the passage, on my infancy
Thou didst lay hold, and antedate ...
- Antiphon (i)
Chorus: Let all the world in ev'ry corner sing
'My God and King.'
Verse: The heav'ns are not too high, ...
- Good Friday
O my chief good,
How shall I measure out thy blood?
How shall I count what thee befell,
And each grief tell? ...
- The Holdfast
I threatened to observe the strict decree
Of my deare God with all my power and might:
But I was told by one, `It could not be;
Yet I might trust in God to be my light.' ...
Top 10 most used topics by George HerbertGod 40 Heart 35 I Love You 34 Love 34 Soul 28 Life 27 Earth 25 World 24 Good 23 Death 20
George Herbert Quotes
- The best mirror is an old friend.
- Sometimes the best gain is to lose.
- You must lose a fly to catch a trout.
- Go not for every grief to the physician, nor for every quarrel to the lawyer, nor for every thirst to the pot.
- He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass.
Comments about George Herbert
- Masterdoctorin: happy birthday - george herbert hitchings
- Hasanalmossa: the best mirror is an old friend. —george herbert
- Bygodkinggeorge: king george, it's george herbert walker bush??
- Iwestayunited: "our true mankind is humanity'' - herbert george wells the “we were going from the airport to the hotel, and we drove through what looked like a rougher neighborhood. trump made a comment to me, saying that only the blacks could live like this.” - michael cohen.
- Martinfpavey: remember, the best revenge is living well (different wording of a george herbert quote). don't be a slave. be the master of your own life.
Write your comment about George Herbert
cecde: like a poam