Who is George ChapmanGeorge Chapman (Hitchin, Hertfordshire, c. 1559 – London, 12 May 1634) was an English dramatist, translator, and poet. He was a classical scholar whose work shows the influence of Stoicism. Chapman has been speculated to be the Rival Poet of Shakespeare's sonnets by William Minto, and as an anticipator of the metaphysical poets of the 17th century. Chapman is best remembered for his translations of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and the Homeric Batrachomyomachia.
Life and work Chapman was born at Hitchin in Hertfordshire. There is conjecture that he studied at Oxford but did not take a degree, though no reliable evidence affirms this. Very little is known about Chapman's early life, but Mark Eccles uncovered records that reveal much about Chapman's difficulti...
Read Full Biography
George Chapman Poems
There is no truth of any good
To be discerned on earth ; and, by conversion,
Nought therefore simply bad; but as the stuff
Prepared for Arras pictures, is no picture ...
- A Description Of Fever
Up to her left side leapt infernall Death,
His head hid in a cloud of sensuall breath;
By her sat furious anguish, pale despight,
Murmure and sorrowe, and possest affright, ...
- The Seventeenth Book Of Homer's Odysseys
Such speech they chang'd; when in the yard there lay
A dog, call'd Argus, which, before his way
Assum'd for Ilion, Ulysses bred, ...
- A Coronet For His Mistress, Philosophy
Muses that sing love's sensual empery,
And lovers kindling your enraged fires
At Cupid's bonfires burning in the eye,
Blown with the empty breath of vain desires; ...
- The Shadow Of Night
Fall, Hercules, from heaven, in tempests hurl'd,
And cleanse this beastly stable of the world;
Or bend thy brazen bow against the Sun,...
Top 10 most used topics by George ChapmanLight 7 Death 7 Life 7 Night 6 I Love You 6 Never 6 Earth 6 Love 6 Fire 6 Heaven 6
George Chapman Quotes
- Ignorance is the mother of admiration.
- The young always have the same problem- how to rebel and conform at the same time. They have now solved this by defying their parents and copying one another.
- Young men think old men are fools but old men know young men are fools.
Comments about George Chapman
- Zenans5: ‘tis immortal to die aspiring. - george chapman
- George_downes17: calm down tracy chapman
- Cingolani_oscar: according to an unconfirmed local story, the town was named by one colonel samuel chapman, whose family owned 6,000 acres (24 km2) of land in charles county. the colonel traveled to south america with his son george, who had contracted tuberculosis, in search of a cure.
- Gracelover712: “i will neither yield to the song of the siren nor the voice of the hyena, the tears of the crocodile nor the howling of the wolf.” george chapman
- Towncricket: buck v 1st xi buck 35/8 (21), 112 reqd off 5 ov end of over 21: wicket maiden, jack deal 0 (3), george humphries 0 (2), alex chapman 1-1-0-1 0 0 0 w 0 0