Who is Edward TaylorFor other people named Edward Taylor, see Edward Taylor (disambiguation). Edward Taylor (c.1642—June 29, 1729) was of English origin and a colonial American poet, pastor and physician. His work remained unpublished for some 200 years but since then has established him as one of the foremost writers of his time. His poetry has been characterized as "American Baroque" as well as Metaphysical.
Life The son of a nonconformist yeoman farmer, Taylor is thought to have been born in 1642 at Sketchley.[a], Leicestershire. There is conflicting evidence in regard to the dates and locations of events in his early life, but he grew up during the Commonwealth of England and under the ...
Read Full Biography
Edward Taylor Poems
- Preparatory Meditations - First Series: 29
(John. 20:17. My Father, and your Father, to my God, and your God)
My shattered fancy stole away from me
(Wits run a-wooling over Eden's park) ...
- The Joy If Church Fellowship Rightly Attended
In heaven soaring up, I dropped an ear
On earth: and Oh, sweet melody:
And listening, found it was the saints who were
Encroached for Heaven that sang for joy. ...
- Preface To God's Determinations Touching His Elect
Infinity, when all things it beheld
In Nothing, and of Nothing all did build,
Upon what base was fixed the lath wherein
He turned this globe and rigalled it so trim? ...
- Preparatory Meditations - Second Series: 146
(Canticles 6:13. Return, oh Shulamite, Return, Return)
My dear, dear Lord, I know not what to say:
Speech is too coarse a web for me to clothe ...
- The Wrong Way Home
All night a door floated down the river.
It tried to remember little incidents of pleasure
from its former life, like the time the lovers
leaned against it kissing for hours ...
Top 10 most used topics by Edward TaylorHeart 11 Golden 10 Bright 10 God 8 Heaven 8 Love 7 King 7 Holy 7 Shine 7 Away 7
Edward Taylor Quotes
Comments about Edward Taylor
- Edwardcwilde: edward taylor, meditation 39.5 (the purchase)
- Ajolines: que detrás del nuevo alimento hay algo inquietante. ▶️reparto richard fleischer charlton heston leigh taylor-young edward g. robinson chuck connors joseph cotten brock peters paula kelly stephen young mike henry
- Deloreana85: taylor told us, and sisters by colonel brandon leave town, but meet edward's affection for expense, no real state of willoughby's
- Keepapitchinin: pastoral advice from presiding bishop edward hunter to president john taylor, 1878: “... hopeing all is well with you & concerns [?], & you reserve time to rest your body & mind ”
- Tainelecesnegfx: payton gendron: murders 10 calmly arrested nikolas cruz:murders 17 calmly arrested dylan roof: murders 9 calmly arrested patrick crusius: murders 23 calmly arrested tamir rice, aiyana jones breonna taylor g. floyd eric garner, all unarmed & innocent, killed immediately