Who is Edward HopperEdward Hopper (July 22, 1882 – May 15, 1967) was an American realist painter and printmaker. While he is widely known for his oil paintings, he was equally proficient as a watercolorist and printmaker in etching. His career benefited decisively from his marriage to fellow-artist Josephine Nivison, who contributed much to his work, both as a life-model and as a creative partner. Hopper was a minor-key artist, creating subdued drama out of commonplace subjects 'layered with a poetic meaning', inviting narrative interpretations, often unintended. He was praised for 'complete verity' in the America he portrayed.
Read Full Biography
Edward Hopper Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Edward Hopper
Edward Hopper Quotes
- Great art is the outward expression of an inner life in the artist, and this inner life will result in his personal vision of the world.
- In general it can be said that a nation's art is greatest when it most reflects the character of its people.
- In its most limited sense, modern, art would seem to concern itself only with the technical innovations of the period.
- The question of the value of nationality in art is perhaps unsolvable.
- The trend in some of the contemporary movements in art, but by no means all, seems to deny this ideal and to me appears to lead to a purely decorative conception of painting.
Comments about Edward Hopper
- Wwqtguyjin: in honor of namjoon sharing his fav painting, here's mine. the first painting to make an impression on me. nighthawks by edward hopper.
- Leytsgo: im really nervous but i'll improve over time and this is my first step. people here have inspired me to write. disclaimer : this is just my interpretation. please be kind hehe
- Leytsgo: nighthawks by edward hopper!! i watched a video on youtube about this piece and woah. love it a lot lot.
- Swanngalleries: james macry in our prints and drawings department examines two works that exemplify the market for edward hopper prints:
- Fraveris: edward hopper "sultry day",c.1928