Who is David Herbert LawrenceDavid Herbert Lawrence (11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930) was an English writer and poet. His collected works represent, among other things, an extended reflection upon the dehumanising effects of modernity and industrialisation. Some of the issues Lawrence explores are sexuality, emotional health, vitality, spontaneity, and instinct.
Lawrence's opinions earned him many enemies and he endured official persecution, censorship, and misrepresentation of his creative work throughout the second half of his life, much of which he spent in a voluntary exile he called his "savage pilgrimage". At the time of his death, his public reputation was that of a pornographer who had wasted his considerable talents. E. M. Forster, in an obituary notice, challenged this widely held...
Read Full Biography
David Herbert Lawrence Poems
Forever unrepresented ...
- Brooding Grief
A yellow leaf from the darkness
Hops like a frog before me.
Why should I start and stand still?
It is stormy, and raindrops cling like silver bees to the pane,
The thin sycamores in the playground are swinging with flattened leaves;
The heads of the boys move dimly through a yellow gloom that stains
The class; over them all the dark net of my discipline weaves. ...
Since I lost you I am silence-haunted,
Sounds wave their little wings
A moment, then in weariness settle
On the flood that soundless swings. ...
- If You Are A Man
If you are a man, and believe in the destiny of mankind
then say to yourself: we will cease to care
about property and money and mechanical devices,
and open our consciousness to the deep, mysterious life ...
Top 10 most used topics by David Herbert LawrenceDark 36 I Love You 35 Love 35 Night 33 Life 30 White 29 Heart 24 Face 24 Black 19 Soul 19
David Herbert Lawrence Quotes
Comments about David Herbert Lawrence
- Jovemeyer: "in every living thing there is the desire for love" david herbert lawrence
- Chinnypanda_: the world of men is dreaming, it has gone mad in its sleep, and a snake is strangling it, but it can't wake up. -david herbert lawrence kylexrafa hkmviralvideo
- Truequotation: all we need, really, is a change from a near frigid to a tropical attitude of mind. — david herbert lawrence
- Dchoskin: "be still when you have nothing to say when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot." - david herbert lawrence
- Nottriciaaaa: ethics and equity and the principles of justice do not change with the calendar. -david herbert lawrence kyle hkmbintangkayrafa