Who is Charles Harper Webb
Charles Harper Webb is an American poet, professor, psychotherapist and former singer and guitarist. His most recent poetry collection is Shadow Ball (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2009). His honors include a Whiting Award, a Guggenheim Fellowship, The Kate Tufts Discovery Award, a Pushcart Prize and inclusion in The Best American Poetry 2006. His poems have appeared in literary journals and magazines including American Poetry Review, Paris Review, and Ploughshares. Webb was born in Philadelphia in 1938, and grew up in Houston. He earned his B.A. in English from Rice University, and an M.A. in English from the University of Washington, and an M.F.A. in Professional Writing and his PhD in Counseling Psychology from the University of Southern Califo...
Read Full Biography
Charles Harper Webb Poems
- The Death Of Santa Claus
He's had the chest pains for weeks,
but doctors don't make house
calls to the North Pole,
- With A Nantucket Shell
I SEND thee a shell from the ocean beach;
But listen thou well, for my shell hath speech.
Hold to thine ear,
And plain thouâ??lt hear ...
- Silent Letters
Treacherous as trap door spiders,
they ambush children's innocence.
"Why is there g h in light? It isn't fair!"
Buddha declared the world illusory ...
Its silver clasp looks like a man grasping
his hands above his head in victory;
the latches, like twin hatchbacks headed away.
- Gil, The Toreador
THE QUEEN sat in her balcony,
The Loveliest of Spain;
Beneath rode all the chivalry,
And roses fell like rain ...
Top 10 most used topics by Charles Harper WebbLight 4 Away 4 World 4 Blue 4 Death 4 God 3 Live 3 Earth 3 High 3 Pink 2
Charles Harper Webb Quotes
Comments about Charles Harper Webb
- Yurikageyama: love this poem in life and legends. proud of the kind of company i keep:
- Rabihalameddine: this was the poem of the day last year: prayer for the man who mugged my father, 72 by charles harper webb
- Lisalbellamy: "command"call me ishmael," not "if it's not too much trouble, and you agree, you might consider calling me ishmael." the universe, of which you are a part, speaks through you. even if it doesn't, it helps to write as if it does. you can always revise." charles harper webb
- Vickimiko: "crabby" by charles harper webb webb's engaging sad story, i can relate :-o "...unsuccessful efforts to make wild creatures (frogs, bugs, lizards, baby birds, etc.) part of my family. this poem commemorates such an effort, and remembers the victim.”
- Rattlemag: “come out, crabby crab …” —charles harper webb