Who is Charles DickensCharles John Huffam Dickens (; 7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded by many as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime and, by the 20th century, critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories are widely read today.Born in Portsmouth, Dickens left school at the age of 12 to work in a boot-blacking factory when his father was incarcerated in a debtors' prison. After three years he returned to school, before he began his literary career as a journalist. Dickens edited a weekly journal for 20 years, wrote 15 novels, five novellas, hundreds of short stories and non-ficti...
Read Full Biography of Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens Quotes
- The age of chivalry is past. Bores have succeeded to dragons.
- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
- A boy's story is the best that is ever told.
- There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.
- Most men are individuals no longer so far as their business, its activities, or its moralities are concerned. They are not units but fractions.
Comments about Charles DickensNonaprisa: life is made of ever so many partings welded together. -charles dickens
Schooldepotcouk: dickens, charles
Brucearthurs4: charles green (1840-1898), best known for illustrating a number of dickens's works, here with "the midnight struggle", a scene from the 1896 edition of isabella banks 1874 novel the manchester man (as by "mrs. g. linnaeus banks").
Arimbiaaa: life is made of ever so many partings welded together. -charles dickens
Read All Comments