Who is Charles DickensCharles John Huffam Dickens FRSA (/ˈdɪkɪnz/; 7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded by many as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the 20th century, critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories are still widely read today.
Born in Portsmouth, Dickens left school to work in a factory when his father was incarcerated in a debtors' prison. Despite his lack of formal education, he edited a weekly journal for 20 years, wrote 15 novels, five novellas, hundreds of short stories and non-fiction articles, lectured and performed readings...
Read Full Biography
Charles Dickens Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens Quotes
- The age of chivalry is past. Bores have succeeded to dragons.
- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
- A boy's story is the best that is ever told.
- There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.
- Most men are individuals no longer so far as their business, its activities, or its moralities are concerned. They are not units but fractions.
Comments about Charles Dickens
- Jkavanagh: the crisis that nearly cost charles dickens his career
- Twelvetreesbook: as quiickly as it went out of stock, it's back! a tale of two cities by charles dickens
- Goodreads_bot: “never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart.” ― charles dickens
- Sciglam: once, i was called to go up north to some cottage and they had all these books in the basement… and they were all charles dickens first editions! -s.w. welch, bookseller
- Hiddenwar_: this urban new book about bots makes charles dickens's oliver twist seem as urban as a frilly doily