Who is Charles Baudelaire
French literary historyMedievalRenaissance17th18th19th20th centuryContemporary
French writersChronological listWriters by categoryEssayistsNovelistsPlaywrightsPoetsShort story writersChildren's writers
PortalsFranceFrench languageLiteratureFrench/Francophone literature
Read Full Biography
Charles Baudelaire Poems
- The Alchemy Of Sadness
One man lights you with his ardour
one decks you in mourning, Nature!
What says to the first: 'A Sepulchre!'
To the other cries: 'Life and splendour!' ...
- The Poison
Wine can clothe the most sordid hole
in miraculous luxury,
and let many a fabulous portico float free
in the gold of its red glow, ...
- Draft Epilogue For The Second Edition Of Les Fleurs Du Mal
Tranquil as a sage and gentle as one who's cursed. I said:
I love you, oh my beauty, my charmer
many a time ...
- Harmony Of Evening
Now those days arrive when, stem throbbing,
each flower sheds its fragrance like a censer:
sounds and scents twine in the evening air:
languorous dizziness, Melancholy dancing! ...
- The Inquisitive Man's Dream
Do you know, as I do, delicious sadness
and make others say of you: 'Strange man!'
I was dying. In my soul, singular illness,
desire and horror were mingled as one: ...
Top 10 most used topics by Charles BaudelaireHeart 127 Soul 116 Love 113 I Love You 113 Night 91 Sky 87 Long 83 Sun 83 Light 79 Black 78
Charles Baudelaire Quotes
- It is regrettable that, among the Rights of Man, the right of contradicting oneself has been forgotten.
- A book is a garden, an orchard, a storehouse, a party, a company by the way, a counselor, a multitude of counselors.
- Any healthy man can go without food for two days - but not without poetry.
- Any healthy man can go without food for two days -- but not without poetry.
- We are weighed down, every moment, by the conception and the sensation of Time. And there are but two means of escaping and forgetting this nightmare: pleasure and work. Pleasure consumes us. Work strengthens us. Let us choose.
Comments about Charles Baudelaire
- Twinkletwink: at my mairie du 6e arrondissement there is a wonderful free big exhibition on baudelaire that includes this painting by gustave courbet, "portrait de baudelaire" (1848)
- Nicratwoman: “the beautiful is always bizarre.” ― charles baudelaire
- Richardhwood: autumn song
- Realemirhan: the enemy by charles baudelaire jeanne dielman 23 commerce quay, 1080 brussels (1975)
- Nachomamaswifi: one of the artifices of satan is, to induce men to believe that he does not exist: another, perhaps equally fatal, is to make them fancy that he is obliged to stand quietly by, and not to meddle with them, if they get into true silence. - charles baudelaire