Who is Boris PasternakBoris Leonidovich Pasternak (/ˈpæstərˌnæk/; Russian: Бори́с Леони́дович Пастерна́к, IPA: [bɐˈrʲis lʲɪɐˈnʲidəvʲɪtɕ pəstɛrˈnak]) (10 February [O.S. 29 January] 1890 – 30 May 1960) was a Russian poet, novelist, and literary translator. In his native Russian, Pasternak's first book of poems, My Sister, Life (1917), is one of the most influential collections ever published in the Russian language. Pasternak's translations of stage plays by Goethe, Schiller, Calderón de la Barca and Shakespeare remain very popular with Russian audiences.
As a novelist, Pasternak is also known as the author of Doctor Zhivago (1957), a novel which takes place between the Russian Revolution of 1905 and the Second World War. Doctor Zhivago...
Read Full Biography
Boris Pasternak Poems
- Mary Magdalene Ii
People clean their homes before the feast.
Stepping from the bustle of the street
I go down before Thee on my knees
And anoint with myrrh Thy holy feet. ...
I have allowed my family to scatter,
All those who were my dearest to depart,
And once again an age-long loneliness
Comes in to fill all nature and my heart. ...
In Spasskoe, unforgettable September sheds its leaves.
Isnâ??t it time to close up the summer-house?
Echo traps the thudding of axe-blows in the trees,
and, past the fence, barters a herd-boyâ??s shout. ...
- With Oars At Rest
A boat is beating in the breast of the lake.
Willows hang over, tickling and kissing
Neckline and knuckles and rowlocks-O wait,
This could have happened to anyone, listen! ...
- Out Of Superstition
A box of glazed sour fruit compact,
My narrow room.
And oh the grime of lodging rooms
This side the tomb! ...
Top 10 most used topics by Boris PasternakNight 43 Life 26 Light 26 Time 25 Sky 22 World 21 Away 20 Long 19 Snow 18 Heart 18
Boris Pasternak Quotes
- In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it.
- It is no longer possible for lyric poetry to express the immensity of our experience. Life has grown too cumbersome, too complicated. We have acquired values which are best expressed in prose.
- No deep and strong feeling, such as we may come across here and there in the world, is unmixed with compassion. The more we love, the more the object of our love seems to us to be a victim.
- What is laid down, ordered, factual is never enough to embrace the whole truth: life always spills over the rim of every cup.
Comments about Boris Pasternak
- Ccarreira03: and remember: you must never, under any circumstances, despair. to hope and to act, these are our duties in misfortune. -boris pasternak
- Credondod: 2 of 5 stars to el doctor zhivago by boris pasternak
- Fargolibrary: classics book club meets virtually tonight - wednesday(1/20) starting at 6:30pm. featured title is "doctor zhivago" by boris pasternak. get the details & register at
- Lookatdworld: “i don't like people who have never fallen or stumbled. their virtue is lifeless and of little value. life hasn't revealed its beauty to them.” - boris pasternak, doctor zhivago
- C_trombley1: who started this rumor i like poetry! i hate poetry. - boris pasternak
Write your comment about Boris Pasternak
Paul Landwehr: The simple beauty of insightful truths revealed through the poetry and prose of Pasternak is liken to a compass, a signpost pointing the way to transcendence from our basest human nature’s.
For me...he is a heroic voice; in a class with Rumi and Gibran, Rilke and Neruda: there are others, but you get the idea.