Who is Anna AkhmatovaAnna Andreyevna Gorenko[Notes 1] (23 June [O.S. 11 June] 1889 – 5 March 1966), better known by the pen name Anna Akhmatova (/ɑːkˈmɑːtɔːvə/; Russian: Анна Ахматова, IPA: [ɐxˈmatəvə]), was one of the most significant Russian poets of the 20th century. She was shortlisted for the Nobel Prize in 1965 and received second-most (three) nominations for the award the following year.
Akhmatova's work ranges from short lyric poems to intricately structured cycles, such as Requiem (1935–40), her tragic masterpiece about the Stalinist terror. Her style, characterised by its economy and emotional restraint, was strikingly original and distinctive to her contemporaries. The strong and clear leading female voice struck a new chord in Russian p...
Read Full Biography
Anna Akhmatova Poems
- In Memory Of M. B.
Here is my gift, not roses on your grave,
not sticks of burning incense.
You lived aloof, maintaining to the end
your magnificent disdain. ...
- As A White Stone
As a white stone in the well's cool deepness,
There lays in me one wonderful remembrance.
I am not able and don't want to miss this:
It is my torture and my utter gladness. ...
- Along The Hard Crust...
Along the hard crust of deep snows,
To the secret, white house of yours,
So gentle and quiet -- we both
Are walking, in silence half-lost. ...
- And Pushkin's Exile Had
And Pushkin's exile had begun right here,
And Lermontov's expulsion had been "canceled."
There is the easy grasses' scent on highland.
And only once it chanced to me to see it -- ...
- For Osip Mandelstam
And the town is frozen solid in a vice,
Trees, walls, snow, beneath a glass.
Over crystal, on slippery tracks of ice,
the painted sleighs and I, together, pass. ...
Top 10 most used topics by Anna AkhmatovaLove 17 I Love You 17 Voice 14 Night 14 Light 14 Fire 12 Heart 12 Never 12 Life 12 Bright 12
Anna Akhmatova Quotes
Comments about Anna Akhmatova
- Arunkum38053152: how convenient ,to escape this world. to be extinguished , unconscious. but a russian poet may not die so painlessly . a bullet will bring the soul more safely to the gates of god . anna akhmatova
- Adorawilliams13: learning finnish and russian at the same time is a new level of mind blowing. russian is only to read the original anna akhmatova. but finnish… i need to be part of that culture. before the world ends or something.
- Poem2poem: i taught myself to live simply and wisely, / to look at the sky and pray to god, - anna akhmatova
- Frameworkpoetry: anna akhmatova's poetry has always struck me as lovely but haunting. used the same beats as her poem 'you should appear less often in my dreams' to write to my deceased grandmother.
- Loverus8: "and in the depths of music, i didn’t find the answer, and again there was silence, and again the ghost of summer." - anna akhmatova, the complete poems of anna akhmatova