Who is Andre GideAndré Paul Guillaume Gide (French: [ɑ̃dʁe pɔl ɡijom ʒid]; 22 November 1869 – 19 February 1951) was a French author and winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature (in 1947). Gide's career ranged from its beginnings in the symbolist movement, to the advent of anticolonialism between the two World Wars. The author of more than fifty books, at the time of his death his obituary in The New York Times described him as "France's greatest contemporary man of letters" and "judged the greatest French writer of this century by the literary cognoscenti."Known for his fiction as well as his autobiographical works, Gide exposed to public view the conflict and eventual reconciliation of the two sides of his personality (characterized by a Protestant austerity and a transgressive sexual adventurousn...
Read Full Biography of Andre Gide
Andre Gide Poems
Top 10 most used topics by Andre Gide
Andre Gide Quotes
- It is unthinkable for a Frenchman to arrive at middle age without having syphilis and the Cross of the Legion of Honor.
- The want of logic annoys. Too much logic bores. Life eludes logic, and everything that logic alone constructs remains artificial and forced.
- Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.
- Art begins with resistance - at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor.
- There is no prejudice that the work of art does not finally overcome.
Comments about Andre GideAcmdrmks: “it is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” ― andré gide
Civ4techquotese: "one doesn't discover new lands without losing sight of the shore." - andre gide
Motivappbot: man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. [andré gide]
Trinitydwarka: "there are admirable potentialities in every human being. believe in your strength and your youth. learn to repeat endlessly to yourself, ‘it all depends on me. –andre gide". trinity institute of professional studies is proud of the alumni, prabhat sharma (course: bajmc
Kepoogaul: "the most decisive actions of our life - i mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered." andre gide
Read All Comments