Who is Abraham LincolnAbraham Lincoln ( LINK-ən; February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865) was an American lawyer and statesman who served as the 16th president of the United States from 1861 until his assassination in 1865. Lincoln led the nation through the American Civil War and succeeded in preserving the Union, abolishing slavery, bolstering the federal government, and modernizing the U.S. economy.
Lincoln was born into poverty in a log cabin in Kentucky and was raised on the frontier, primarily in Indiana. He was self-educ...
Read Full Biography of Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln Poems
- Verse On Lee's Invasion Of The North
Gen. Lees invasion of the North written by himself-
In eighteen sixty three, with pomp,
and mighty swell,...
- To Rosa
You are young, and I am older;
You are hopeful, I am not-
Enjoy life, ere it grow colder-
Pluck the roses ere they rot....
- To Linnie
A sweet plaintive song did I hear,
And I fancied that she was the singer-
May emotions as pure, as that song set a-stir
Be the worst that the future shall bring her....
- The Suicide's Soliloquy
Here, where the lonely hooting owl
Sends forth his midnight moans,
Fierce wolves shall o'er my carcase growl,
Or buzzards pick my bones....
- The Bear Hunt
A wild-bear chace, didst never see?
Then hast thou lived in vain.
Thy richest bump of glorious glee,
Lies desert in thy brain....
Top 10 most used topics by Abraham LincolnNight 3 Life 3 Sweet 3 Young 2 Lost 2 Power 2 Wild 2 Rose 2 World 2 Fear 2
Abraham Lincoln Quotes
- Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.
- No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.
- With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.
- I believe, if we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the brilliant and warm-blooded to fall into this vice.
- The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
Comments about Abraham LincolnArmedhawk29: “i’m a slow walker, but i never walk back.” ~ abraham lincoln
Marinedrecrooks: “there can be glory in failure and despair in success.” ~ abraham lincoln
Cerebralwisdom: i believe that every individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other men's rights. - abraham lincoln
Mugichan6: “when you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang out.” – abraham lincoln
Ameliaalbert15: in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. it's the life in your years. -abraham lincoln
Read All Comments