Who is Abraham LincolnAbraham Lincoln ( LINK-ən; February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865) was an American lawyer and statesman who served as the 16th president of the United States from 1861 until his assassination in 1865. Lincoln led the nation through the American Civil War and succeeded in preserving the Union, abolishing slavery, bolstering the federal government, and modernizing the U.S. economy.
Lincoln was born into poverty in a log cabin in Kentucky and was raised on the frontier, primarily in Indiana. He was self-educated and became a lawyer, Whig Party leader, Illinois state legislator, and U.S. Congressman from Illinois. In 1849, he returned to his law practice but became vexed by the opening of additional lands to slavery as a result of the Kansas–Nebraska Act of 1854. He reentered politic...
Read Full Biography of Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln Poems
- Verse On Lee's Invasion Of The North
Gen. Lees invasion of the North written by himself-
In eighteen sixty three, with pomp,
and mighty swell,...
- To Rosa
You are young, and I am older;
You are hopeful, I am not-
Enjoy life, ere it grow colder-
Pluck the roses ere they rot....
- To Linnie
A sweet plaintive song did I hear,
And I fancied that she was the singer-
May emotions as pure, as that song set a-stir
Be the worst that the future shall bring her....
- The Suicide's Soliloquy
Here, where the lonely hooting owl
Sends forth his midnight moans,
Fierce wolves shall o'er my carcase growl,
Or buzzards pick my bones....
- The Bear Hunt
A wild-bear chace, didst never see?
Then hast thou lived in vain.
Thy richest bump of glorious glee,
Lies desert in thy brain....
Top 10 most used topics by Abraham LincolnNight 3 Life 3 Sweet 3 Young 2 Lost 2 Power 2 Wild 2 Rose 2 World 2 Fear 2
Abraham Lincoln Quotes
- Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal...We here highly resolve that the dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
- I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false is guilty of falsehood, and the accidental truth of the assertion does not justify or excuse him.
- I believe, if we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the brilliant and warm-blooded to fall into this vice.
- Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
- Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it the tree is the real thing.
Comments about Abraham LincolnTherecount: "they hate george washington, thomas jefferson, abraham lincoln, dr. seuss, and mr. potato head." — sen. john kennedy (r-la), ridiculously, on how to spot the thousands of 'uber-wokers' he says biden has appointed
Philfroginthec1: greetings from hell! i'm choking down an old tuna sandwich with abraham lincoln!
Kein_bot2: this bass was used by abraham lincoln! ｳﾍﾍﾍﾍﾍ
Jackiejaxster: these male politicians are pushing for women who receive abortions to be punished with prison time
Hategop: house gop rolls out agenda with a fake lincoln quote. 'doh!' —abraham lincoln! the house republican conference thought their agenda was quoting abraham lincoln. it was actually quoting a lehman brothers ad from the 1980s.
Read All Comments