Osip Emilevich Mandelstam Poems
- 51. Still I Have Not Died, And Still Am Not Alone
Still I have not died, and still am not alone,
while with my beggarwoman friendI take my pleasure from the grandeur of the plain
- 52. Beneath A Veil Of Milky White
Beneath a veil of milky white
Stands Isaac's like a hoary dovecote,The crozier irritates the grey silences,
- 53. When On The Squares And In Solitary Silence
When on the squares and in solitary silence
We slowly go out of our minds,Brutal winter will offer us
- 54. As Psyche-life Goes Down To The Shades
As Psyche-Life goes down to the shades
In a translucent forest in Persephone's tracks,A blind swallow falls at her feet
- 55. To M.l. Lozinsky
I feel the undefeated fear,
In presence of the misty heights;I'm glad that swallows fly here
- 56. I Am Sorry It Is Winter Now
I am sorry it is winter now,
And you can't hear mosquitoes in the house,But you reminded yourself
- 57. Rome
Rome is but nature's twin, which has reflected Rome.
We see its civic might, the signs of its decorumIn the transparent air, the firmament's blue dome,
- 58. Just For Joy, Take From My Palms
Just for joy, take from my palms
A little sun, a little honey,As Persephone's bees commanded.
- 59. I Don-t Remember The Word I Wished To Say
I don-t remember the word I wished to say.
The blind swallow returns to the hall of shadow, on shorn wings, with the translucent ones to play.